Limping chicken

Jun 6, 2023
Hi, I have a 6 month rooster who I discovered had a limp of some sort on his right leg. I inspected his leg and found no visible injuries, however, his hock is slightly swollen. I suspect he might have a sprain, but I'm not entirely sure. Do you have any idea what might be wrong with his leg?

Hi, I have a 6 month rooster who I discovered had a limp of some sort on his right leg. I inspected his leg and found no visible injuries, however, his hock is slightly swollen. I suspect he might have a sprain, but I'm not entirely sure. Do you have any idea what might be wrong with his leg?
Pics will help the experts, but sprain is likely. Anything that it could've been caught on?

My chickens are free range, so I can think of a few things. Also, their perches are about 4 1/2 feet of the ground, so maybe he hurt himself jumping off of them.
Anyway, here are photos of his leg:
20230608_162539.jpg
20230608_162501.jpg

Can you post pictures of his feet and legs while standing on his own? Is there any swelling of his ankles or feet? I would confine him to a pen or dog crate with his own food and water to prevent overuse or jumping. Rest may help. A vet could do an X-ray, or prescribe an anti-inflammatory drug, such as meloxicam. Aspirin low dose 81mg can be given orally once or twice a day for 2-3 days.

Here is a photo of him standing on his own:
20230608_162849.jpg

No, there isn't any swelling of his feet or ankles. Thank you for the advice, I will try to orally give him low doses of Aspirin.

Back
Top Bottom