limping Chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dalovins, Nov 27, 2012.

1. dalovins

dalovins New Egg

Nov 27, 2012
    A couple days ago, I closed my chicken coop for the night. I assumed that all the chickens made it into the coop as usual. My husband came home from work in the morning, saw the coop was closed and one of our Rhode Island reds was out. It had gotten really cold the night before. So my husband brought her inside to warm her up. When she was warm we put her back outside and noticed that she was limping. She is eating normally and still laying eggs. When we pick her up you can hear and feel a creaking in her injured leg, where her leg meets her body. We're not sure if anything is broken or not because there was no evidence of any animal getting to her the night she was out. No blood or anything. She won't climb to get into the coop now and we have to put her in at night. I thought of building her her own separate pen in the garage until she gets better. I am not sure what is wrong. I obviously don't want her to suffer at all. Do I need to see if a vet can see her? Or maybe one of my more experienced friends with chickens? Any ideas what may be wrong? I don't want her to be limping forever. I'd like to see her get better. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by