limping cock HELP!! UPDATE WITH PICS

java girl 2

Songster
8 Years
May 17, 2011
NY
I have a cock that is limping today. he does not have leg mites. I see that he holds himself up only halfway up, but today my dad said he was limping.and when I got him, I noted he does not like to hold himself up all the way. the only thing I can see is his legs and feet have been geting a little red everday and now they are very red. I don't know what to do???????? HELP!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I'm not sure what the problem is, but separate him and make sure he has easy access to his water and food. You should post some pictures of his legs. I think that may be helpful for people to try to figure out what is wrong. Hope he recovers quickly!

Quote:
HE HAS BEEN IN A CAGE WITH A HEN I GOT AS WELL FOR A 30 DAY PEROID. MY DAD HAD TO TAKE HIM OUT TODAY TO CLEAN THE CAGE OUT AND THAT IS WHEN HE HAD SEE HIM LIMPING.

That is good. Since he can't get around well, it is good that he has easy access to food/water. Take some pics of his legs. Maybe someone will have dealt with the same issue and have some good advice for you.

Is there any possibility that he caught a spur or toe in the wire of the cage? This is a frequent cause of strains and muscle pulls in birds. If this is the cause time should rectify the problem. If his condition worsens, I would recommend a visit to a vet if he is a valued bird.

Look over his feet carefully to see if he might have a sore or swelling that would indicate Bumblefoot. Bumblefoot can be a serious problem. You can use Search here on BYC to find info on Bumblefoot, and there is some in the "Treat Bumblefoot Infection" section on the Poultry Podiatry webpage on the site linked in my sig below.
I hope your roo recovers well from whatever he might have.

when I got him, I noted he does not like to hold himself up all the way, he can but does not like to. if he is walking or running he will hold himself up. but if he's standing still, he holds himself up only halfway up, so I'm thinking maybe he is this way for good
idunno.gif
barnie.gif
barnie.gif
I will get pics tomorro. oh and his feet are good.
he.gif
he.gif

Last edited:
OK, HERE ARE THE PICS YOU ALL ASKED ME FOR. THIS IS MY COCK.
92252_104_0284.jpg
HERE ARE HIS FEET.
92252_104_0290.jpg
92252_104_0288.jpg
92252_104_0292.jpg
HE CAN STAND UP RIGHT BUT DOES NOT LIKE TO.
92252_104_0280.jpg
AND THIS IS HIS BUDDY THAT I GOT WITH HIM, MAYBE HIS BROTHER.
92252_104_0278.jpg
AND THIS IS THE CAGE THEY ARE IN.
92252_104_0295.jpg
AS YOU CAN SEE IT'S 1/2" WIRE MESH.

I don't know about the limping, but I have read that in BO roos the red legs can be a sign of maturity. Don't know much other than what I read here on the forum though. Try typing in the search at the top "red legs" and see what you come up with maybe? Sorry I'm not much help.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom