Limping D’uccle

yakitori

Crowing
Jun 22, 2020
New York
Edit: I’m slowly searching through past posts, and it seems like I will just have to wait this one out. Going to put her in a crate as advised here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/limping-chicken.1243650/

10 days seem pretty long, but I if it prevents long term problems, I’m willing to give it a try...

————original post————-

For the past week my d’uccle suddenly developed a limp and I can’t for the life of me figure out what’s wrong with her right leg. She’s always had an awkward gait due to excessive feathering on her feet, but never a limp. I’ve looked it over quite a few times, even trimmed her leg feathers as much as i could. I then tried to put pressure on various parts of of her leg to see if she’ll react to any pain... but nothing.

For then past two days I had her inside for 2 whole days to limit the use of her legs, but she didn’t improve either.

At my wits end and hoping someone here will have ideas on what to try next...

Attachments

• 18570808-354F-42F8-9EB0-4CE69239690C.jpeg
    18570808-354F-42F8-9EB0-4CE69239690C.jpeg
    446.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 787B103C-D62F-4357-A938-17435FE3D037.jpeg
    787B103C-D62F-4357-A938-17435FE3D037.jpeg
    535 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I’d say it’s something like a muscle strain, a sprain, or even just a bruise. It can take up to 6 weeks to heal depending on what it is. I’d just let her be with the rest of the flock. As long as she’s eating, drinking, and doing normal chicken activity’s she’s completely fine and there is no need for her to be in a crate.

Edit: I’m slowly searching through past posts, and it seems like I will just have to wait this one out. Going to put her in a crate as advised here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/limping-chicken.1243650/

10 days seem pretty long, but I if it prevents long term problems, I’m willing to give it a try...

————original post————-

For the past week my d’uccle suddenly developed a limp and I can’t for the life of me figure out what’s wrong with her right leg. She’s always had an awkward gait due to excessive feathering on her feet, but never a limp. I’ve looked it over quite a few times, even trimmed her leg feathers as much as i could. I then tried to put pressure on various parts of of her leg to see if she’ll react to any pain... but nothing.

For then past two days I had her inside for 2 whole days to limit the use of her legs, but she didn’t improve either.

At my wits end and hoping someone here will have ideas on what to try next...
I am having this issue as well… No visible wounds and no reaction to touch…

Injuries are very common. Are the toes curling under? I would try rest and 1/4 tablet of human b complex vitamins for a couple of weeks, to see if there is improvement or if the leg gets worse. Look for any bumble foot scabs or cuts on the foot pad. Was your hen vaccinated for Mareks?

Back
Top Bottom