limping duck

rahaf

Chirping
Apr 18, 2023
so aa i was changing my flocks water today i noticed my duck like she follows me always but is limping on one of her feet, it seems swollen but i couldnt find any injuries or bumble foot, and in my experiance everytime i try to intervene by catching then and quarantine them they just get worse overnight from the stress, can i let her be and try to add multivitamins in her water/etc? she seems to be eating and drinking just sits a bit more and i hate having to chase her around to catch her which makes her worse
edit: i took another look at her up close and her feet dont even look swollen like i thought, could she have jusrt sprained her leg or smth? maybe tried to jump too high? there is no difference in the looks of her feet at all

Attachments

• 20230827_103249.jpg
    20230827_103249.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 20230827_103253.jpg
    20230827_103253.jpg
    390.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
yes, yes, and yes.
as long as she doesnt have a huge area and has to try to keep up with others, she is choosing to sit and rest on her own, thats good.
can she get in and out of a pool (or whatever you have there for ducks to swim in) by herself?
you can give something like nutridrench yes
you can give niacin that is great for legs/feet
Liquid B complex 1 ml per day on treats or orally by syringe

(if you never did that before look at this first)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

or you can give a niacin pill but it has to be the Flush kind (NOT No Flush, and NOT time release)

Do you know when did she last lay an egg? Eggbound can also cause a limp , she would need calcium if thats the case, check this

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/egg-binding-symptoms-treatment-and-prevention.66978/

yes, yes, and yes.
as long as she doesnt have a huge area and has to try to keep up with others, she is choosing to sit and rest on her own, thats good.
can she get in and out of a pool (or whatever you have there for ducks to swim in) by herself?
you can give something like nutridrench yes
you can give niacin that is great for legs/feet
Liquid B complex 1 ml per day on treats or orally by syringe

(if you never did that before look at this first)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

or you can give a niacin pill but it has to be the Flush kind (NOT No Flush, and NOT time release)

Do you know when did she last lay an egg? Eggbound can also cause a limp , she would need calcium if thats the case, check this

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/egg-binding-symptoms-treatment-and-prevention.66978/
i couldnt find an egg from her yesterday but she shows no symptom or sign of it at all, and ive seen her poop multiple times after so i dont rlly know, she seems to eat and drink and clean herself like usual she just doesnt seem to want to put weight on one side
ill try to give her treats with nutritional yeast could that help? i already gave them multivitamins with b complex for 7 days this month so ill have to wait a bit to do thay, thank u sm for responding! i hope she gets better

i couldnt find an egg from her yesterday but she shows no symptom or sign of it at all, and ive seen her poop multiple times after so i dont rlly know, she seems to eat and drink and clean herself like usual she just doesnt seem to want to put weight on one side
ill try to give her treats with nutritional yeast could that help? i already gave them multivitamins with b complex for 7 days this month so ill have to wait a bit to do thay, thank u sm for responding! i hope she gets better
sometimes one of my ducks just limps for a day or 2 and then theyre fine again.

sometimes one of my ducks just limps for a day or 2 and then theyre fine again.
that has happened to me with my chickens before and i left them alone and they recovered well from a few days to a week alone but i dont have many ducks so this is probably the first time i see it, altho i do remember my drake limping around when i first got him and i just left him alone and hr also was normal again

Back
Top Bottom