Limping for 3 months, I can't figure it out!

Snack Giver

Songster
8 Years
May 7, 2011
Seattle
Hi folks. My shy little 2 year old free range Rhode Island Red has been in pain and limping for at least 3 months, maybe more. It started suddenly one morning last summer. She doesn't put wait on her right foot except maybe when walking, then she limps badly. I have inspected her feet and legs several times since this began, hoping i would see something. There is no swelling, no bumble foot (I KNOW what that looks like already). There is no difference when examining both feet and legs that I can see or feel. No redness. Nothing I have seen!

I originally hoped it was just a sprain and would get better by itself (my others have had this). But this poor birdy has had no change in more than 3 months.. She now moves around less and less and is obviously in pain if she puts her right foot down. She is standing on 1 foot only at all times.

I'm at a loss and feel so guilty. She already is the bottom of the pecking order, they don't let her eat until last. I need to help her with this foot/leg. She is healthy otherwise and eats, sleeps, keeps up with my other birds. But she cannot stand on her right foot except for a second while hobbling around.. Is there something else I can look for.? Something up in the thigh? Again, no black spot and no swelling, not bumble foot. HELP Thanks folks. Mike

Hello. Update: as of 2 days ago my hen has started walking almost normally now. I don't understand why, but I am so glad. I just wanted to tell people that this condition can last 3-4 months and still cure itself. I don't know what it was. THANKS PEOPLE> Mike

Back
Top Bottom