Limping hen :( Any ideas? **Fixed her**

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lovemyflock, Apr 13, 2011.

1. lovemyflock

lovemyflock Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2008
    Maryland
    Hi everyone, I have a 3 year old Barred Rock hen who started limping this morning. She's really not putting any weight on that leg. I checked her foot and leg, and cant see any injury, there is no broken skin that I can see...I dont have any idea what she's done to herself [​IMG] She came out of the coop this morning and has been limping since, that and taking breaks and laying down [​IMG]

We dont have any vets around here that see chickens, I'm not sure what to do for her.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  2. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    The injury might be higher up in her thigh or hip joint. Can she move her foot and toes? Does she put any weight on it at all? Does the foot feel the same temperature as the other? Are all the toenails there and not bleeding?

Sounds like she twisted or pulled it. Give her time.

3. roz

roz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    MA
    I have a barred rock who has a limp this morning as well. She's about a year old. This is her third bout with limping. There is never any visible wound. there is never an area that is hot. We think ours is prone to getting an ingrown toenail. That may be the case with yours as well? If so, we've put bag balm on her toe for a few days and she gets better. Someone else suggested soaking her foot in espom salt which we didnt have at the time but will probably be doing this time. Good luck.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  4. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

What is it with barred rocks and toenail issues??? I have a barred rock who has been missing her center & outer toenails on her left foot, has always been that way as long as we have had her (doesn't stop her from doing anything, tho).

I think sometimes they can get tendon and ligament injuries, just like us. Hopefully it'll get better soon. When mine get injuries of any kind, I make sure they get vitamins & electrolytes in their water & that when possible, give them lots of sunlight ... that will help them build their strength to fight off whatever it is that hurts them.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Most likely she has jumped down from a roost or something and sprained or pulled a ligament or tendon. I Recommend you put her in a cage or crate and give her plenty of rest and relaxation, giving her leg time to heal. Provide her with feed and water. You can add vitamin B complex to her feed by crushing a couple of tablets into powder and sprinkling it in her feed. It could help speed up her recovery. Recovery time might take anywhere from a few days to a month or more, depending on the severity of the problem.
    I recently had this happen to one of my 5 year old Barred Rocks and after 5 days of R&R, she was back to normal walking and released. However, I had a Black Star that never recovered and gimped around on one leg, she did just fine...but I had to keep her permanently seperated fronm the others.

6. lovemyflock

lovemyflock Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2008
    Maryland
    I think I fixed her [​IMG] Yesterday, I looked at her foot again and saw what looked like dirt next to the pad of the middle of her foot...but it wasnt dirt, it was a stone! Tucked up under the pad, so I pulled that out and she seems much better today. Thanks everyone!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by