Limping hen with a raw foot

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Parkerchick, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Parkerchick

Parkerchick New Egg

Nov 19, 2011
    Please help! My New Hampshire red is limping and her foot is slightly swollen. She has a couple of raw spots on the top and bottom of her foot. How do I know if it's bumblefoot?
    I keep the pin very clean....it is only her and a rooster. Very dry environment. Completely puzzled. I have tetracycline.....should I treat her and if so...how long?
    Could it be anything else?
    Thanks ahead of time!

-Concerned Chicken Mama

2. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    I would separate her from the roo say in a dog crate so they can see each other but he can not get to her. He may be doing it or she may have hurt herself, but chickens will peck at each other feet, I see this all the time. Clean up her foot, soak it in warm water, she will like it most likely and apply some antibiotic ointment and keep an eye out for infection. I don't think you need to start antibiotics yet unless you think she is infected badly. as foe bumble foot, i have never seeen it, but have read here that it is a dark spot on the bottom of the foot pad with swelling.

3. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Do you have a picture of her foot. Someone might be able to give you more information.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by