Limping hen with black toe. Newbie here. Help!

Nov 17, 2018
upload_2018-11-17_16-32-31.jpeg

Hi! My white leghorn has been limping for a few days. As you can see, one of her toes has turned black. She barely put her foot down. She is eating and drinking but has definitely become less active. I brought her inside and soaked her foot in Epson salt and put a little Neosporin on it. Anyone know what this could be? And how I can treat her? Thanks so much

upload_2018-11-17_16-32-31.jpeg

So sorry about your girl! Make sure your hands are clean and rub Neosporin on the entire wound to prevent infection. I also recommend cleaning all the preexisting dried blood off before applying this, just to wash the wound and get it nice and clean. Then wrap a bandaid around her toe to hold the ointment in place and prevent dirt from entering the cut, but not so tight that it cuts off circulation. Unfortunately, I think she may lose her toe nail, as from the above pictures, that blackened tissue appears to be necrotic. I hope she recovers real soon.

Last edited:
I probably would not use a bandaid, since it may come off and be eaten. The most I would do is to apply Vetericyn Wound Spray or iodine to the toe. It is black most likely from a crush injury or frostbite, and probably will eventually shrivel up and fall off. That should not cause any problems. Injured toes are painful, but it should get better in a week or two.

I probably would not use a bandaid, since it may come off and be eaten. The most I would do is to apply Vetericyn Wound Spray or iodine to the toe. It is black most likely from a crush injury or frostbite, and probably will eventually shrivel up and fall off. That should not cause any problems. Injured toes are painful, but it should get better in a week or two.
If monitored properly, the bandaid need only be left on long enough for the ointment to be fully absorbed, and then taken off and thrown away. Totally understand your concerns though.

Last edited:
So sorry about your girl! Make sure your hands are clean and rub Neosporin on the entire wound to prevent infection. I also recommend cleaning all the preexisting dried blood off before applying this, just to wash the wound and get it nice and clean. Then wrap a bandaid around her toe to hold the ointment in place and prevent dirt from entering the cut, but not so tight that it cuts off circulation. Unfortunately, I think she may lose her toe nail, as from the above pictures, that blackened tissue appears to be necrotic. I hope she recovers real soon.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom