Limping hen

Fcarter

Songster
6 Years
Apr 11, 2017
One of my buff orpingtons came limping to get into her pen yesterday. She had been out with the other girls all afternoon. They never go far. We looked at her feet, toes, legs, and hips. No injury. This morning she is still limping. Still no sign of injury. What else can I check for or do for her? All of my buffs are large girls but they get lots of exercise . Thanks.
Faye

Just keep an eye on her. She may have jumped down slightly wrong from the perch on that leg and strained it a bit. She may have tangled it in something. If she is older, it might be some arthritis setting in. There are a lot of harmless things it could be.

So just watch her. If it worsens. If she begins to drag it, then you have neurological problems with my first thought going to Mareks.

But usually it is something they tweeked where they limp a couple of days then all is well. You might check your perch height to make sure it is optimal for larger, heavier birds.

My thoughts.
LofMc

Just keep an eye on her. She may have jumped down slightly wrong from the perch on that leg and strained it a bit. She may have tangled it in something. If she is older, it might be some arthritis setting in. There are a lot of harmless things it could be.

So just watch her. If it worsens. If she begins to drag it, then you have neurological problems with my first thought going to Mareks.

But usually it is something they tweeked where they limp a couple of days then all is well. You might check your perch height to make sure it is optimal for larger, heavier birds.

My thoughts.
LofMc
Thanks. Sort of what we thought but wanted another opinion. She is only 2 so hopefully no arthritis yet.
Faye

Back
Top Bottom