Limping Hen

Lemon-Drop

Let Your Light Shine ~ Matthew 5:16 🤍✝️
Mar 5, 2021
Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
Hey guys! My cousin just called me.

One of her chickens is limping heavily. She didn't want to eat, not sure about drinking. The hen won't bear any weight on the foot. I asked a few questions, but I don't have a ton of info.

This was first noticed this morning, doesn't look broken or dislocated from what I could tell. The bottom of the foot shows signs of inflammation from what I could see through the video call, so bumblefoot may be a possibility. I didn't see a black spot though. There are no visible wounds or bleeding either.

She's quite worried about this chicken, so any help is much appreciated! Thanks, friends!

Pictures would be helpful, looking for swelling, green bruising, redness on the leg and top of the foot, as well as any cut or scabs on the foot pad. It sounds more like an injury or bumblefoot if she holds it up all the time. Does she hop around on one leg or every put the other down? Does she use her wings to balance?

Pictures would be helpful, looking for swelling, green bruising, redness on the leg and top of the foot, as well as any cut or scabs on the foot pad. It sounds more like an injury or bumblefoot if she holds it up all the time.
This is the only picture I have at the moment
IMG_2929.jpeg

Does she hop around on one leg or every put the other down? Does she use her wings to balance?
I’ll ask my cousin

Look for any scaly leg mites. Hard to tell much from the picture. If you see any swelling around the ankle, also look at the hock joint for any swelling.

Back
Top Bottom