Limping/lameness - trueblue hen

You may want to take her out periodically and massage the legs, see if you can assist her standing, etc.

If she does not improve, then consideration of quality of life is necessary. If you lose her or cull her, send to body to your GA state lab for a diagnosis.

Yeah I've been moving her around every so often and trying to encourage her to stand and use her legs. One of the roos paces circles around me every time I seem to disturb her, not aggressively just calling to her when she squawks.

If she doesn't improve in the next few days it'll be up to my house mate what to do with her, like I said they are her chickens. I just happen to be home and know a bit on farm animals and don't mind helping when no one else is home.

If it were my chicken she'd already have a vet trip to determine what condition the legs are actually in.

Well day 6 of the flop along hen, still eating an drinking. Doesn't appear to be losing weight. She isn't exactly happy with sitting still as she tried to scoot herself around in the brooder. It's in the talks now if it's better to cull her now or see about setting up a proper sling to set her in each day and see if it's a sprain or a break that could recover..

Well day 6 of the flop along hen, still eating an drinking. Doesn't appear to be losing weight. She isn't exactly happy with sitting still as she tried to scoot herself around in the brooder. It's in the talks now if it's better to cull her now or see about setting up a proper sling to set her in each day and see if it's a sprain or a break that could recover..
Good luck with your discussion - there are a lot of things to consider. Whatever decision is made, I'm sure it will be the right one.

Back
Top Bottom