Limping Muscovy duckling

lilchik

Songster
10 Years
May 3, 2009
Rio, WV
I have a 12 week old Muscovy duckling that is limping. She barely uses her right leg. The "knee" joint is warm and swollen. There was no known injury. When she first started to limp 1 week ago I checked her feet and they were fine. The joint was not swollen or warm then. It has gotten progressively worse. She is being fed nonmedicated chick & duckling starter feed. None of my other ducklings have this problem. I have put her in a pen because she is having difficulty getting around. She uses her left leg fine but does not want to bear any weight on the right leg and drags it.

Any suggestions of what the problem is and what to do for it?

Have you tried water therapy? When my hen got a little limp I put her in the tub for some swim time and that seemed to help. She may just need some time off the leg to heal. maybe someone else will jump in with more ideas.

doesn't sound good, i've had ducklings start limping at that age before, i put mine down to a niacin deficiancy and changed the feed and havent had it happen since. if you are feeding yours with duck starter that should contain extra niacin which would make it a non issue.

personally mine go in the freezer if they are that old and have problems. no point keeping it in misery. you could try diluting a multi-vitamin in the water and see if it comes good in a few days, sometimes works for me with sick ducks.

Like ian said a niacin deff is most of the time to blame so niacin in the water or sprinkled in her food would help and rest, as long as she is out in the open she will continue to use her leg and not get rest, glad you penned her up. Water therapy is another great suggestion.
Might get some info from here. http://metzerfarms.blogspot.com/2011/03/are-my-ducklings-leg-problems-due-to.html Keep us updated please.
smile.png

Started poly-vi-sol orally and sav-a-chick in the water. Gave her an antibiotic injection. Filled the tub with cool water and added epsoms salt and left her swim in it for about 30 mintues. Will continue this for a few days and see how it goes
fl.gif

Good luck and let us know what happens.
fl.gif

Started poly-vi-sol orally and sav-a-chick in the water. Gave her an antibiotic injection. Filled the tub with cool water and added epsoms salt and left her swim in it for about 30 mintues. Will continue this for a few days and see how it goes
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom