Limping Pekin on Niacin, how long before seeing change?

ducksandink

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2017
Virginia Beach, VA
I am hoping to get an idea of how long the Niacin usually takes? I have a 3 month old Pekin named Taco we assume so far is a male. He was always a bit of a runt compared to his sibling Ming Ming who is huge. She is doing well. Taco is not. About 2 weeks ago he started limping. He sticks his left leg out. At first we assumed leg injury, but after a week of niacin and water therapy I took him to the vet. She said she thought it might be a neurological issue and he may be sick. He was given pain meds and antibiotics. So in total the Niacin has been almost almost 3 weeks and the meds I have been giving since this past Friday (so 4 1/2 days)
Shoving that thing down his throat to give him the pills is no fun, but I have gotten the hang of it.
He is upset and stressed after meds are given.

So this morning is Tuesday and he still only stands on his right foot and uses his beak and wing to keep from falling over. I don't really see much change in him. He seems a bit stronger possibly but not by much. He doesn't even really try to limp. He is still eating with the brewers yeast added to his feed, but not without you placing the bowl in front of him, and he does drink water. I was actually excited to see him trying to preen and yesterday he ate a bug :)
I am unable to take him back to the vet right now because I work full time and I live in the city, not near the vet I had taken him to this past week.

Any suggestions? Certain vitamins? Where do I order the vitamins I can add to his water or squirt in his mouth? Can someone literally add an amazon link for a certain product they recommend? LOL I have ordered Mazuri starter feed for him as suggested by the vet also. I think this will really boost his health too. Please help if you can... We love our Taco. Thank you
Belle

Attachments

• Taco at the Vet.jpg
    Taco at the Vet.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 28
We can't really put a time limit on how fast Niacin can work they are all different and usually if they are younger when they begin to have leg issues and they get on Niacin asap they can get over it pretty fast some in less than a week. But being taco is 3 months old it maybe take a bit longer so don't give up and if it is a leg injury they can take even longer.
One of the best vitamins for birds I think is Poultry Nurti Drench [TSC carries it ] as does Amazon. It can be placed right inside the bill [never squirt anything down their throats in case it goes into the air sacs] And it can be put into their water also.

Are you using Plain niacin not time released or flush free? and it's 150mgs daily

Yes I have the correct Niacin after researching this site a couple weeks ago. For right now I am measuring out the brewers yeast and adding it to his food and making sure it is all consumed. So I think that is ok for now. I am going to complete the antibiotics Thursday and continue with niacin daily. Hopefully his new food comes sooner than later. Thank you for responding. I hope he perks up soon. He seems in good spirits. My mother is duck sitting and tried to move him today from hiding next to a bush in her yard and he kinda snipped at her, lol so I hope that shows he is a feisty little fighter.

Any other suggestions I would really appreciate.

Certain drugs will lower the actual percentage of what gets absorbed into the body...So the meds could be hindering his ability to get the niacin needed...?...Contact the vet....

When I referred to the Niacin at the appointment this past Friday, she said she never had heard of it.

So maybe just finish the meds till Thursday and keep on with the Niacin?

Back
Top Bottom