Limping Roo

Granny Hoffman

Songster
9 Years
Jul 19, 2010
SE Michigan
We have a 2 year old Splash Jersey Giant roo that is limping badly. He can't walk, it has been 4 days. I have him separated in his own lil coop where he can see his girls and get to food and water. He is eating and drinking and crowing fine, but can't walk. I'm not sure what else I can do. I have examined his leg and find no swelling, heat or when in manipulate his leg he doesn't act like it hurts, just can't put any weight on it.

Any and all help will be appreciated.

Granny

He might just have sprained or strained it jumping off of a tall perch or something. As long as he's eating and drinking, he should be fine. Keep him in a cage/crate/seperate area with a thick layer of bedding for a few days, and see if there's any change.

Two years old is too old for Marek's Disease, so I wouldn't worry about that. Another possibility may have been Botulism, but that paralyzes a bird. If it were Botulism, he'd also be dead already.

Is he too weak to walk, or does he just not like too? Internal and external parasite infestations would cause weakness, so I'd give him a dewormer and check him for mites and lice.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

He might just have sprained or strained it jumping off of a tall perch or something. As long as he's eating and drinking, he should be fine. Keep him in a cage/crate/seperate area with a thick layer of bedding for a few days, and see if there's any change.

Two years old is too old for Marek's Disease, so I wouldn't worry about that. Another possibility may have been Botulism, but that paralyzes a bird. If it were Botulism, he'd also be dead already.

Is he too weak to walk, or does he just not like too? Internal and external parasite infestations would cause weakness, so I'd give him a dewormer and check him for mites and lice.

Thank you for the suggestions.

The bolded above is not true-- they can develop Marek's at any time after exposure (especially if they are not vaccinated). However, it is much less common in older birds. But not at all out of the question.

Let's look at other possibilities first, though.

How is your roo doing today? What is his diet like? Any other symptoms? Is it one leg, or both? Have you checked the bottom of his foot/feet for sings of bumblefoot (you'd be looking for redness, or swelling, and/or a black scab)?

Last edited:
The bolded above is not true-- they can develop Marek's at any time after exposure (especially if they are not vaccinated). However, it is much less common in older birds. But not at all out of the question.

How is your roo doing today? What is his diet like? Any other symptoms? Is it one leg, or both? Have you checked the bottom of his foot/feet for sings of bumblefoot (you'd be looking for redness, or swelling, and/or a black scab)?
Thank you for inquiring. He is doing about the same. He is eating his pellets just fine and gobbled up his treat of muskmelon this morning. The problem seems to be just one foot/leg. I am pretty sure it happened when he got off the roost that morning. We checked his feet again tonight and there are no signs of bumblefoot.
I started him on baby aspirin this morning and will continue with that for a few days to see if that helps.

Thank you for correcting me. I meant to say that birds usually don't get Marek's Disease when they are that old, not that it was impossible.

Thank you for inquiring. He is doing about the same. He is eating his pellets just fine and gobbled up his treat of muskmelon this morning. The problem seems to be just one foot/leg. I am pretty sure it happened when he got off the roost that morning. We checked his feet again tonight and there are no signs of bumblefoot.
I started him on baby aspirin this morning and will continue with that for a few days to see if that helps.

This does not sound like Marek's... it does sound like a physical injury. I think you are doing well by him and are doing all you can as home treatment. Keep an eye on him and let us know how he does. :)

Thank you for correcting me. I meant to say that birds usually don't get Marek's Disease when they are that old, not that it was impossible.

No worries. I just know a lot of new folks cruise the forums and would hate to see someone think older birds can't get it. You are right that older birds are not usually the ones that come down with the paralysis. Usually older birds tend to show ocular problems, wasting, etc.

Back
Top Bottom