Limping rooster/skin issue

MimiBlue

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2017
Southwest Ohio
I have a light Brahma rooster. He' about 6-7 months old. He started a slight limp about 2 months ago but it wasn' too noticeable and we couldn' find a cause. His limp has gotten worse the last couple weeks and today I was able to get a pic of his leg. Any suggestions? He was an accidental rooster and I'm afraid if I can' cure him, my husband will want chicken soup. :(
20171117_075659.jpg
20171117_075655.jpg

Have you looked at the bottom of his feet to make sure he has no scabs, cuts or anything stuck in the nooks and crannies of the foot?

I see some redness, some of which could be hormones (red streaks up the legs). One foot looks slightly swollen. General care would be to soak the leg in epsom salts to see if that helps with the swelling. If you see no scabs, etc. to indicate bumblefoot or infection, then he may have sprained the leg/foot or he could have something more serious going on. Limiting his actively for several days to see if that helps would be a good idea - if it's a sprain, hopefully you will start to see improvement. A dog kennel inside the run so he is still with the girls works well. Provide him with B vitamins and some extra protein like egg, tuna or meat.

Back
Top Bottom