limping turkey now can't walk

LorenMcHugh

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 1, 2013
First time turkey owner, my approx 10 week old female turkey began limping a few days ago but otherwise seemed fine..eating drinking, now she cannot walk, will barely eat and seems to have trouble breathing...no externals problems with leg or with bird I can see. They are penned with chickens at night, not sure how to help her. She seems to be suffering now. Was raising them for meat but not sure if it's safe to process her now...please help

Separate out from the others, immediately. Make sure she can get to water/food from whatever location she's placed in (out of direct sun is good). Observe droppings (if any) for any unusual "hue". If she expires, perform gross necroscopy, immediately (anything that doesn't look like it would be normal - discolored organs/swollen/discolored intestines) would be of interest and shots of such would be useful.

I'm assuming, from your post, that you have more than one turkey. Separate from chooks and keep penned-up/in run so as to keep close watch on droppings or lameness.

Could be simply mechanical (injury) but it is hard to guess with few clues.

If she is a broad breasted variety it could have to do with her weight, it could also maybe be coccidiosis. 8-14 weeks is when my turkeys seem to get coccidiosis, I have one that is sick now who I've been giving cayenne pepper and she is now almost fully recovered.

Back
Top Bottom