Limping turkey poult

Chickpalooza

Chirping
May 20, 2021
I have 2 turkey poults, a black and a bronze. The bronze poult or bp is limping. I get a closer look and their right leg’s joint is swollen. He gets around OK, kind of has to waddle and if he needs to go faster he has to rely on his wing for support. What should I do?

I have 2 turkey poults, a black and a bronze. The bronze poult or bp is limping. I get a closer look and their right leg’s joint is swollen. He gets around OK, kind of has to waddle and if he needs to go faster he has to rely on his wing for support. What should I do?
What are you feeding it? Sounds like perosis.

Turkey crumble means nothing. Is it a high protein turkey starter with 28% to 30% protein? They need a quality turkey starter to get a high enough amount of niacin for proper development of their legs.
Just looked at the feed tag (bags are unlabeled but there’s a tag that says what kind of feed and the ingredients on the bottom of the bag) tag says 22% protein meat bird feed. 🤦‍♀️ Feel like a bit of an idiot. Would changing the feed to regular 28% protein game bird feed fix the problem? Or has this mistake doomed him?

Just looked at the feed tag (bags are unlabeled but there’s a tag that says what kind of feed and the ingredients on the bottom of the bag) tag says 22% protein meat bird feed. 🤦‍♀️ Feel like a bit of an idiot. Would changing the feed to regular 28% protein game bird feed fix the problem? Or has this mistake doomed him?
That would help. I would start giving all of your turkeys vitamin B complex at the rate of 1/2 tablet dissolved in one gallon of water. Make sure that it is their only source of water. It should be made fresh daily.

If the perosis isn't too far advanced, it should help. Getting them on proper turkey feed will help all of them, It isn't just about the higher protein levels but also the lysine, methionine and niacin levels are higher in a proper turkey feed.

That would help. I would start giving all of your turkeys vitamin B complex at the rate of 1/2 tablet dissolved in one gallon of water. Make sure that it is their only source of water. It should be made fresh daily.

If the perosis isn't too far advanced, it should help. Getting them on proper turkey feed will help all of them, It isn't just about the higher protein levels but also the lysine, methionine and niacin levels are higher in a proper turkey feed.
Is this ok for all poultry varieties? They’re the only turkeys I have and there are a couple other poultry varieties in the same pen that also require high protein game bird feed.

Back
Top Bottom