Limping/Unsteady Hen

GRB73

Songster
6 Years
Mar 10, 2016
SE Pennsylvania
My 5 year old Wyandotte hen was fine all day until she came running after me looking for a treat. I was in the garage so I didn't see what happened but it sounded like she stumbled down our patio step (8" step). When I came out of the garage I noticed she was falling to her left side and holding out her wing for support. I have two other chickens so I put all three back into their run so everyone would calm down. Now my poor girl is just sitting in a puffy lump in the corner looking miserable. I looked at the leg and the foot and it appears ok. She is keeping it curled.

Her two pals are sitting next to her in the run. I plan on carrying her up to the coop tonight. It is an Omlet coop so there is no roosting bar that she can fall off of.

What can I do for her? Should I give half a baby aspirin for pain ( hoe many mg?) Should I separate her? We have a large dog crate but I worry this would just be more stressful.

Part of me starts to worry this could be more than a gimpy leg. Is it possible she had a stroke? The curled foot makes me wonder. She has been struggling with egg laying this year, then completely stopped about a month ago. I figured it was just age. Now I'm worried there was something underlying that I didn't notice.

Thank you for any guidance you can offer.

Back
Top Bottom