Lines and cracks... ????

sloanbychoice

Crowing
Dec 29, 2019
Wichita, Kansas
Hey guys,
So recently, I’ve been having an egg here and there that has a little crack or hole in the pointed end.
It was once in a while, and I didn’t think much of it, other than I also noticed that the very eggs with this issue, also had these weird lines on the same end.

Well, tonight I have three.
One of my EEs, one of my leghorns, and one of my reds.
The lines look like stretch marks, and then a hole or crack in each one.

Is this a thing? Is this an indication of something going on that I should be concerned about?

They eat layer feed, with once in a while mealworms, and once in a while fruits or veggies. A bit of scratch at times, but not as much since it’s been so hot.

8E432E41-1569-4649-842E-086FA68F71E4.jpeg

0734213E-8C73-438B-BA06-59D94D2415F2.jpeg

E9CAE8B3-F0FF-411C-AFDB-32F557CB62BD.jpeg

I would put out crushed oyster shell in a separate container for extra calcium. I also put out crushed egg shells as well. The spots looks like thin areas where some liquid seepage has come fhrough the shell. There are small surface cracks, and a hole that has been pecked with a beak. One of my hens seems to know when there is a weak egg shell, and they will test the shell with a peck sometimes. Make sure they are getting mostly a good balanced feed, since vitamin D 3 is also important in egg laying.

I would put out crushed oyster shell in a separate container for extra calcium. I also put out crushed egg shells as well. The spots looks like thin areas where some liquid seepage has come fhrough the shell. There are small surface cracks, and a hole that has been pecked with a beak. One of my hens seems to know when there is a weak egg shell, and they will test the shell with a peck sometimes. Make sure they are getting mostly a good balanced feed, since vitamin D 3 is also important in egg laying.

Thanks!! That makes sense with the peck..
I’ve never had any hens mess with their eggs, and I was a bit worried they were starting a bad habit. But ya, they do tend to know things so I won’t worry about that part.

I’ll definitely get them some shells again today. Yesterday and the day before, all eggs were perfect, so hopefully it was a temporary deficiency.

I appreciate you!

Back
Top Bottom