Lino or tile floor for coop

Dirtyhip

Songster
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
The Cascades
That is probably best if you live in frozen wasteland, right? A bare earth deep floor bedding probably will not work.

So, 4-5 inches of shavings on the floor. Straw in the nesting boxes. 4 x 8 coop, and 32 x 5 run, and some extra pecking room (supervised). 3 hens and a 4 meat chickens a year.

I want cleaning to be easy. The smaller coops look like you have to bend too much. We live on a city lot. The house is small, and the front lawn is all coverted to veggie, fruit and ornamental garden.

I used a piece of cheap scrap vinyl from Home Depot for my coop floor. Worked great! I just shovel the bedding out, sweep, and replace. Very simple.

I used stick on tiles from the clearance section. It worked great at first but then dirt got under the tiles and they started coming up and now they are gross, but I've been doing deep litter bedding for awhile now so I barely see them. So if you do linoleum be sure to do a big sheet and not the tiles of it!

I tacked down one layer of linoleum and then placed another piece on top of it that isn't attached. It can be rolled up and taken outside for easier cleaning if need be.

I don't think the chickens appreciate it too much though; they slip and slide on it when they're in a hurry to get out the door in the morning.

Thanks for the idea...i have a couple boxes of leftover ceramic tile laying around and they will work perfectly in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom