Liquamycin la-200 injectable for an infected wound in the mouth?

cutlass1972

Songster
10 Years
May 26, 2009
this is actually a continuation of this thread
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=251889

Since the nature of my question is considerably different than my original thready I thought I would start a new thread.

I have a hen with a nasty wound in her mouth that is badly infected (see the pics on the other thread). I want to give her an antibiotic to help her along. The only injectable antibiotic the feed store had was liquamycin LA-200 (oxytetracycline)

Is this antibiotic suitable for chicken use and can someone reccomend a dose if so? The directions say to administer .5 ml for a 10lb swine. so if my hen weighs about 3lb I would figure about .15ml dose if I am using the same scale. I picked up some insulin syringes at walmart that are 1ml capacity and graduated in .1 ml units, so I think .15ml would be doable.

seems like the way to do it is to inject under the skin on the back of the neck (not into muscle).

Does it sound like I am on the right track?

Just checked out your other thread. Awesome pics of the mouth. The bird that has the infection in the corner of her mouth should have penicillin. You need to get that yellow stuff out of there. I just had a bird with the identical problem. I used small tweezers to pull out the yellow gunk. Came right out in a chunk. Then I cleaned with some salt water and a shot of penG in the breast muscle. Within 2 days it was all healed up. I'm not even sure she even really needed meds, just a good cleaning of the area.

Back
Top Bottom