Liquid coming out of hens mouth when she bends down to eat

CrazyBirdLadyUSA

Chirping
Jan 31, 2023
I have a 3 year old golden comet hen (White Rock hen x New Hampshire rooster sexlink crossbreed).

She has lately been presenting with droopy wings, droopy tail, fatigue and in the past couple days it’s gotten worse.

I brought her inside into the hospital pen to observe and noticed when she bent over to eat the food I provided for her, clear runny liquid ran out of her mouth, several times.

I’m pretty sure it had a weird kinda rank smell to it.

There doesn’t seem to be any swelling in the abdomen, no ascites, the crop doesn’t seem to feel or look off, and her butt feathers are fluffy and clean.

Is this sour crop? Could this be something else? In the past when my hens had sour crop they ALSO had vent gleet at the same time, but she doesn’t appear to have that.

I have a 3 year old golden comet hen (White Rock hen x New Hampshire rooster sexlink crossbreed).

She has lately been presenting with droopy wings, droopy tail, fatigue and in the past couple days it’s gotten worse.

I brought her inside into the hospital pen to observe and noticed when she bent over to eat the food I provided for her, clear runny liquid ran out of her mouth, several times.

I’m pretty sure it had a weird kinda rank smell to it.

There doesn’t seem to be any swelling in the abdomen, no ascites, the crop doesn’t seem to feel or look off, and her butt feathers are fluffy and clean.

Is this sour crop? Could this be something else? In the past when my hens had sour crop they ALSO had vent gleet at the same time, but she doesn’t appear to have that.
Does sound like sour crop indeed.

Canker, wet fowl pox or sour crop. It's usually one of those.

Check her crop in the morning, if it's empty it's most likely not sour crop. If it's full you can treat sour crop with Nystatin or acidified copper sulfate, apple cider vinegar can also help.

Open her beak in a vertical position and look down her esophagus. Are there white membrane or slime looking deposits? White/yellow cheese looking growths around her tongue or in the corners of her mouth?

You can treat Canker with Metrodinazole or Rodinazole aided by acidified copper sulfate.
You can't treat wet pox, her immune system has to defeat it or she dies.

Keep her in a warm, dry place and give her some vitamins, if you have them.

Back
Top Bottom