list of breeds here:

Quote:
awsome! do you know Swedish??? or did you just look it up? great job tho!

Yes, I am from Sweden!
smile.png

It was interesting that there didn't seem to be an English name for kindahöna and gammelsvensk dvärghöna, but two English names for Bohus-Dals svarthöna.

Also, there seem to be some incongruencies in the translation of the breed names. For example, why is åsbohöna Åsbos, while hedemorahöna is Hedemora Hens? Why isn't hedemorahöna just called Hedemoras, or Åsbohöna Åsbo Hens? If you follow me?
wink.png

Quote:
awsome! do you know Swedish??? or did you just look it up? great job tho!

Yes, I am from Sweden!
smile.png

It was interesting that there didn't seem to be an English name for kindahöna and gammelsvensk dvärghöna, but two English names for Bohus-Dals svarthöna.

Also, there seem to be some incongruencies in the translation of the breed names. For example, why is åsbohöna Åsbos, while hedemorahöna is Hedemora Hens? Why isn't hedemorahöna just called Hedemoras, or Åsbohöna Åsbo Hens? If you follow me?
wink.png

yes i understand but i agree with you on the part of why they call some differntally than others. thats really neat that you are from sweden!
big_smile.png

~Bri

Quote:
Yes, I am from Sweden!
smile.png

wink.png

yes i understand but i agree with you on the part of why they call some differntally than others. thats really neat that you are from sweden!
big_smile.png

~Bri

Thanks!
big_smile.png

The breeds in the list are actually those who are listed as "farmer breeds", which, if I understand correctly, is roughly equivalent to Americas ALBC.

For a photo album of the Swedish "farmer breed" chickens, ducks and geese, just go here http://www.kackel.se/Old/fotoalbum.htm and klick on the menu to the left!
smile.png

Last edited:
I was reading the entirety of this thread checking (and learning of different breeds) when I arrived at the end of the posting. Though this thread and posting is old, I thought I would update it just a bit for any others interested.

Henriks posted link of the Swedish 'farmer breed' chickens, ducks & geese no longer seems to be a valid web address. I will add the updated link to the same site's new page on Swedish chicken breeds... which is ..... http://www.kackel.se/lantras_hons.html and though this text is in Swedish if one scrolls down there are pictures of the breeds under their proper name headings. The only English translation on this site is their 'about' page .... http://www.kackel.se/english.html .
wink.png

what all breeds have feathers on their feet? i hatched out a few eggs that the mom and dad was solid black and had feathers on their feet. and the mom was a small chicken. any ideas? i got pics of the babies but not the mom is that will help?

Back
Top Bottom