List of Materials to Butcher

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Leah and peeps, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Leah and peeps

Leah and peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Canada
    Hi everyone,
    what are the tools/materials needed for butchering chickens, top to bottom. And what the tool is used for.
    Im trying to get a list together of everything that I'll need, and what to use it for.
    Thanks

2. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    If you'd like, you can check out the stickied thread at the top of this forum, it's got a great tutorial.

I also have one in my signature - my blog - that goes through the whole deal. The extent of my tools are a rope, bucket, trash bag, scalpel, a big pot, a sink, and storage bag (I have a vacuum sealer, but have used gallon zip top bags). That's about the bare minimum - the more you get, the easier the process, but it's just extra.

3. Leah and peeps

Leah and peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Canada
    Thanks you lots. Thats a really helpful post [​IMG]

4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Quote:Booker81 your blog is AWESOME. You are very thorough and pics are great. I have found that many people tend to overlook some details because they are so used to butchering. I am SO glad I found this as I may be processing some ducks soon.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  5. Jschaaff

Jschaaff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Hi Leah.

Not sure if this will help, but this was the "tent" (it was raining) that we set up for our slaughter day a few weeks ago.

[​IMG]

We kinda did a pictorial in my blog, with pics from culling to gutting,..plucking etc. (hand plucking is first processing post, with plucker machine is October processing post)... but it was more fun than informative I think.

http://misssplenda.blogspot.com/

Make sure your knives are really sharp! I thought I was prepared but my knives weren't quite sharp enough....

And make sure you have enough room in your freezer!!!....turns out...20 birds takes up a lot more room than I realized [​IMG][​IMG]

Jessa

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  6. Jschaaff

Jschaaff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Booker81 your blog is amazing!! I wish I had seen your step-by-step to processing chickens, before I did it on my own the first time. Thank you so much for taking the time to do that!!! I'll be using it to refresh my memory before next years first batch!

Jessa

7. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I don't think SHARP knife can be stressed enough. And Jschaaff mentions another useful accessory: Alcohol. Love that blog!

8. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Quote:I would heartily suggest that that glass of alcohol be the very last of the processing proceedure ... as in after all is said and done, lift up a glass in celebration. [​IMG] Sharp knives and alcohol libation during processing = painfull accident waiting to happen. [​IMG]

9. GoChick

GoChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2010
    Booker81,

Thanks so much for the great tutorial!! It may be the best one I've seen so far! I'm planning to start raising my own broilers next year and follow your instructions!

It's great to have BYC and people like you who take the time to share your knowledge!

10. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Good cutting board. Knife sharpener. Favorite paring knife and scissors. Lots of ice, cooler, hose.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by