Listless Americauna, droopy wings, and watery poop

Hayleytemplet

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 15, 2018
North Texas
My Americauna (although I don't think she is exactly that breed) started acting really strange today. Very lethargic, her wings seem to be droopy, she wants to just lay around mostly. This started earlier in the week I believe, but I thought she was just sitting outside. Today it is a lot worse. I can pick her up without her trying to walk away or anything (which has never happened), she doesn't seem to flap her wings or anything. She seems pretty light even for her. She has watery poop, but I'm not sure exactly when that started, since I have 2 other chickens. We put pine shavings in the coop to keep things a little warmer at night (I live in Dallas and temps have been in the 30s at night). One of my other hens died last Friday but I was out of town and only have "her neck was broken" to go off of from my mom. She died outside the coop so we assumed something may have attacked her even though there was no blood.
I brought my hen inside now and have made a "sick bird" area with a bed for her to sit in, some fruit and food to eat, which she is eating, and some water, which she is drinking. She has not laid an egg in over a week, but she started not laying a few weeks ago and I just assumed it was the cooler weather and longer nights. Then she laid for like 3-4 days and then stopped again.

I looked up some illnesses and avian flu described some white spots on legs and comb but she doesn't really have a comb. Here are pics of her her wings that are dropping kind of and her white, watery poop, and her legs as well.

Attachments

• 20181130_113346_Film1.jpg
    20181130_113346_Film1.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20181130_113358_Film1.jpg
    20181130_113358_Film1.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20181130_113448_Film1.jpg
    20181130_113448_Film1.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 8
Looking at her stance a reproductive issue comes to mind. Do you have photos of her poop?
Have you checked to see if she is egg bound?
The only photos I have of her poop are above. Its white and basically just water. I don't have a way to tell her poop apart from my other hens. I just started separating her. She doesn't have the "waddle" of egg bound

I'm not much help to you but for those who will be it will help if you supply some more details:
How old is the chicken, how long do you have her, what do you normally feed your flock, has she grit available to her, where does she sleep and what bedding do you use, have you checked for lice, mites and worms, how is her crop function? Is there a smell from her beak?
I am also wondering about the other chicken you lost in case it's related!
Hopefully with some more details from you there will be more people replying shortly. Having a chicken so ill is worrying, I hope she will bounce back.

She is about 10 months old. I got her as a chick in March. I am new at this so I don't know how to look for things or even really where her crop is. She doesn't have a big "chest" area and when I felt around on her, I feel one line of bone like a breast bone in the middle and little else in that area... She seems more skinny than anything in that area. She does have some grit available but maybe not enough?

This is what her poop looks like. Also, she is not walking around much... Just kind of stands in one spot or lays like she would when nesting.... She just got up to walk around a little bit but not a lot. I will check her crop when my hubby gets home. In watching YouTube for how it's on this.

This is what her poop looks like. Also, she is not walking around much... Just kind of stands in one spot or lays like she would when nesting.... She just got up to walk around a little bit but not a lot. I will check her crop when my hubby gets home. In watching YouTube for how it's on this.

Attachments

• 20181130_134230_Film1.jpg
    20181130_134230_Film1.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20181130_134230_Film1.jpg
    20181130_134230_Film1.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 6
I am not the best at predicting sex of a chicken, but do you think she might be a cockerel, from the feather color, and pointed hackle feathers? Easter eggers that look like that may be males.

I would be concerned about either Mareks disease or a reproductive disorder from the droopy wings and tail. If your other chicken that died had a wry neck (torticolis,) that can be another sign of Mareks.

I would offer some Poultry NutriDrench (up to 3 ml daily) and water, or other electrolytes that you have. Take one finger and insert it up to 2 inches inside her vent to feel for a stuck egg—it should feel soft normally, and wear a disposable glove if you have one.

Here is some reading about Mareks disease, and I hope that it is not that:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Back
Top Bottom