Listless Bantam

Valery_Etienne

In the Brooder
May 21, 2023
I found Winston, my bantam rooster, laying on his side this morning. I took him out and he was wobbly and a little weak. I sat with him while he ate a little and he pooped once, which was mostly clear but no blood or anything like that. Showing no signs of any respiratory issues. I recently added chicken wire to the bottom of their coop to raise it off the ground to make it better for them. This was two days ago (Tuesday) and I noticed he wasn’t able to walk well on the wire. He’s never had wire in a coop of his before. Is this just stress? Should I add some flooring back to the bottom of the coop? And finally, should I give him some rooster booster in case he isn’t eating due to the stress? Thanks in advance! Picture of Winston attached.

Attachments

• 8E4EDF26-40FD-4904-86D2-00088D6CFD6D.jpeg
    8E4EDF26-40FD-4904-86D2-00088D6CFD6D.jpeg
    591.2 KB · Views: 63
It appears that Winston needs his upper beak trimmed back, do not trim it into the quick. It could cause him the inability to pick up feed and eat enough to stay strong and healthy, he's probably too weak.
I recommend that you trim his beak and give him some rooster booster for no more than 5 days, and provide him his regular feed to eat.
Due to the stress involved, it might be in your best interest to add flooring to the bottom of the coop and leave it there.

It appears that Winston needs his upper beak trimmed back, do not trim it into the quick. It could cause him the inability to pick up feed and eat enough to stay strong and healthy, he's probably too weak.
I recommend that you trim his beak and give him some rooster booster for no more than 5 days, and provide him his regular feed to eat.
Due to the stress involved, it might be in your best interest to add flooring to the bottom of the coop and leave it there.
Thank you so much. He’s always had a beak that grows fast. I’ve started trimming it myself recently because it got too costly to take him to the vet so much. Good to know I can trim further. None of my feed stores had rooster booster but one of them gave me VitMinPro (pictures below). Will this work? And is it ok to put in his water if he shares a coop with a hen and a chick that is about 6 weeks old? Thank you again for the advice! Bought some car floor mats to put on the wire since they will be easy to clean 😊

Attachments

• 8937EE09-222B-482A-BBDC-5B7A0CFF5109.jpeg
    8937EE09-222B-482A-BBDC-5B7A0CFF5109.jpeg
    773.4 KB · Views: 4
Is this trimmed enough?

Attachments

• CB4893F8-6574-4F9F-866A-E17DE17ABE22.jpeg
    CB4893F8-6574-4F9F-866A-E17DE17ABE22.jpeg
    515.6 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom