Listless Chick possibly fading?

PurpleEast

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 14, 2012
Fennville, Michigan
Got my very first order of chicks this past Sunday morning. Everyone was happy and fine until earlier today.

One of my EE chicks stands in the brooder, eyes closed, ignoring nest mates. She'll let them pick at her and run into her and she barely moves. Every time I pick her up she peeps like she's lively, but she'll soon fall back into a napping state. She is not struggling to breath or anything. She has not been eating or drinking on her own, but she is drinking from a syringe just fine. But I'll set her back down and she'll take a few steps and go back to stand-napping.

The past two days she's also had a pasty butt. Cleaned it earlier today and now she's doing nothing but pooping clear/white/yellow (egg-white consistency, really goopy) droppings. Maybe dehydrated or effects from pasty butt?

I'm prepared to lose her, I'm just hoping it's not something the rest of the flock will soon catch. Maybe she's just one that's weaker than the rest. Everyone else is dandy for the time being.

I have nothing but respect for Dawg53, and he gives great advice. However, the chick has been in with the rest all this time. If it's contagious, they probably already have it, so you might try electrolytes or sugar water with feed mashed very fine through an eyedropper or syringe. She might just need some extra help.

Well I'm happy to say the chick is doing loads better now. Eating, drinking, preening - still a little sleepy, but she's at least laying down to sleep as opposed to standing!

Thanks to you both - the thought of culling her crossed my mind. I just hoped it wasn't contagious. We'll see how she keeps doing. Hoping it was just a little bug that's gone now.

Back
Top Bottom