Listless hen after fox attack

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by lendavis, Dec 26, 2011.

1. lendavis

lendavis Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2010
    Hi All,
    We had an Xmas eve fox attack in which three of our chickens disappeared. The next day two showed up...they were apparently hiding in the garage behind a pile of chairs. An Australorp was missing some neck feathers and her tail is all but gone but she integrated with the flock and began eating and drinking. A Barred Rock seemed to be untouched but was apparently in shock. At first I put her with the flock and she did drink. But she just stood still and since it was cold and night was coming I took her into the house. This morning she is alert but so far still listless. Any ideas on care? (The one chicken that seems to have been taken for good was the only other Barred Rock). I dripped some aspirin water on her beak and she seemed a bit enlivened by that, but won't take any food. She's sleeping right now. Only stood up for a few minutes this morning.
    Happy Holidays,
    Len

2. leonphelps

leonphelps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Bucks County PA
    give her some time. she will take some time. dont worry until second or third day.

3. lendavis

lendavis Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2010
    Thanks. I'll keep you posted.

4. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    Oh poor baby! She should be fine in a few days or so just in shock. If she doesn't recover in like two days I would be worried but until then just try to get some fluids into her.

5. BackyardCountry

BackyardCountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    My Own Little World....
    same thing happened to me- except with a dog instead of a fox. best thing you can do for right now is put her in a cage or warm box with food and water. Hold the baby for as long as you need to before putting her in, and slowly begin physical therapy. Trust me, it works. check for wounds aywhere and if there are any, clean them with hydrogen peroxide. stay with her as much as possible. It will work! Any questions, pm me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by