litte beele like bugs in the coop

I do think that will help a lot. Hanging the feeders was a good idea too. The less they have to eat, the easier it will be to control them. You'll have to watch carefully, because even after you clean everything up, the ones that burrowed into surrounding structures to pupate will eventually emerge and start reproducing again. Yes, your description of termite-cockroach is spot on, these beetles are worse than most folks can imagine. Good luck; I'm hoping your weather cools soon!

Last edited:
Thank you again!!! I feel somewhat better about all this , those little raptors are me happiness
hugs.gif

Thank you again!!! I feel somewhat better about all this , those little raptors are me happiness
hugs.gif

Try looking up litter bugs I had some in my coop

The 'bugs' you're seeing are Darkling Beetles. They are a MAJOR source of disease and internal parasite transmission in chickens. They only like to live in darkness hence the name Darkling Beetles. There is more information about this serious poultry pest at most county agent offices.

The 'bugs' you're seeing are Darkling Beetles. They are a MAJOR source of disease and internal parasite transmission in chickens. They only like to live in darkness hence the name Darkling Beetles. There is more information about this serious poultry pest at most county agent offices.

Not true and in fact, quite the opposite. The adult lesser mealworm beetle is attracted to light, which makes them more troublesome. While they are primarily nocturnal and hide during the day to avoid predation, at night they are attracted to lights which can draw them from the litter to other structures (like the porch light on your house). Here's an excerpt from a recent M.S. thesis on pesticide resistance in Alphitobius diapinerus:

Quote:

They are called darkling beetles because they are members of the family Tenebrionidae. Yes, many of the original species described for the family do prefer darkness, but not all do. They are grouped along with the other 20,000 or so species in the family based on shared morphological characteristics, not behavioral characteristics.

Back
Top Bottom