litter box training

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by manybirds, Sep 26, 2011.

1. manybirds

manybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    so i had a flemish doe i had to put down, she had a week old litter at the time. i hand raised the litter and got one to live. i would like to litter box train it but it's cage is stinking up the whole house. is there any way to keep the smell down? if not i'll have to put her out side.

2. manybirds

manybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    PLEASE! someone! the smell is killing me alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Joz

Joz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    MidCity, New Orleans
  4. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Usually, a rabbit will naturally pick a spot to defecate in, and you place the litter tray there. I have had the most luck using "feline pine" (the heating process eliminates the oils that are harmful to buns) to keep smell down. Change bedding frequently. Place hay in the litter box, or in a rack attached to the box, as rabbits like to munch at one end and poop at the other at the same time. Do not expect all poop to end up in the box, just urine. Both males and some females will scatter poops as a territorial thing. Sometimes spaying and neutering decreases this habit, but not always. Use special rabbit-safe treats to reward your rabbit for using her box. Start with a small area, and it works better if your cage does not contain bedding, only the litter box. Ensure the box is a good deal larger than your rabbit as you want that to be a comfortable place for them to enjoy. Rabbits spend quite a bit of there time in their box. Use high sided boxes or urine guards if your rabbit tends to overshoot with urine. If the rabbit eliminates outside the box, sometimes soaking the urine up with a paper towel and putting that inside the box and sweeping any poops into the box helps them learn where to go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by