1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Litter for the brooder

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenman111, Aug 1, 2014.

1. I have some baby chickens in a brooder, their too young to walk on wire. I had them on newspaper covered with shredded paper, but one of the babies has hurt it's leg, can I use pine straw, or do I need something like hay? I also have access to crushed sandstone if I can use that. Any help will be appreciated.

2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Crowing

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    You say "baby chickens" .. how old are they? I have found the best litter to be pine wood shavings. Babies love to 'scratch' around in them and they smell good, too!

You also mentioned that "they're too young to walk on wire' ... you really don't want ANY chickens, young or mature, to be walking on wire at all. It's very very hard on their feet and could possibly lead to bumblefoot. JMHO

All the best and update us!

3. their a week old, does it have to be untreated pine shavings? They won't eat them will they? Sorry I'm a bit of a worrywart.

4. iwiw60

iwiw60 Crowing

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    You can buy pine wood shavings at your feed store. They come in a square bale ... very low cost for what you get which is a lot. I'm confused when you say "untreated pine shavings" ?? Do you mean shavings from treated 4x4's and the like? If so, the answer is no. Just go to your feed store and ask for pine wood shavings. Some feed stores carry two types...coarse kinda of like chunky chips, and the kind that you want which are curly shavings.

Don't be sorry for being a worrywart...I'm the same way!! [​IMG]

5. ok thanks for your help, sorry got pine shavings confused with cedar shavings.

6. RJSorensen

RJSorensen Chicken George

Newspaper is slick and can lead to trouble with the legs of chicks. Paper towels work well for little ones too small for pine shavings. I always use pine shavings when everyone is big enough for them.

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

7. Ok, I've got some pine shavings, and some sort of natural paper bedding. They tried to eat it at first, but now their just playing with it. Thank you all for the help :)

8. RJSorensen

RJSorensen Chicken George

Where chickens don't have hands, they test everything with their beak. They will most likely do so to any 'new' thing or item introduced to them. They learn quickly that pine shavings are not good to eat. Please don't ever use saw dust, the shaving are 'cleaned' to remove the very fine particles, but saw dust can harm a bird.

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

1 person likes this.
  9. Ok, I'll stay away from the sawdust, thank you for your help :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: