Litter Question

melaniemariecl

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 8, 2013
I have a coop designed to hold 10 chickens. It has 3 nesting boxes. I'm trying to understand this deep-litter method I keep reading about, it sounds like it's geared more toward large coops and those with dirt ground. I am using pine shavings, I am putting a dense layer down and by the end of the week they kick most of it out the run door or the main door to the coop...I keep both open during the day. I can't seem to keep the shavings IN the coop.

Advice? I'm starting to be concerned that the coop floor may start getting rotty from dampness.

I love SAND in the bottom of coops now. I use the dry play sand and keep a thinnish layer. I scrape it with a small plastic rake daily or every other day, then use a kitty litter scoop to get the solids out. I use shavings in the nest boxes only.

It works for me since I live in the Pac. NW where the coops get wet a lot from fog on the inside (and from rain leakage). Shavings were a messy wet moldy situation for me.

Quote: You need boards across those doors to keep it in

If your floors are damp, you don't have enough bedding, or you have too many leaks/spills

Last edited:
You need boards across those doors to keep it in

If your floors are damp, you don't have enough bedding, or you have too many leaks/spills
+1

You want to keep your coop floor dry. Yes... they will dig in the bedding and down to the floor sometimes. Mine free range and have a large run area so they only do coop digging on stormy or blizzard days when they choose to hang out in the coop all day. If your flooring is plywood or particle board or sheathing then you could treat you floor with a covering to protect it from rot. My floor is wood planks and any liquids drain through so it stays dry even if a water container spills. Try to keep several inches of bedding in the coop. It is pretty rare for them to disturb or dig in the waste pile area below the roosts. That is the area that you want to keep plenty of bedding and poo dried up. Hope this Helps!

I have used the DLM since Dec 2012. I love it. I have 6-10 inches of pine shavings in my hen house. I stir and add DE about once a week. My Hen house does not stink at all!
In my run I use wood chips like you would use in a play ground. My girls love it they scratch and look for bugs. I will rake the chips but generally the poo will disolve with the rain. I live in the PNW so its wet a lot!!
I tried sand in my run and it was HORRIABLE, it stunk so bad and made a mucky mess.

I was going to put sand down in my coop this weekend but I read from someone on here that you should use silica free sand. I can't seam to find any. Even the bags of "play sand" contain silica. But a lot of you are saying you use the play sand. So is it must be safe.. Right?

how large is your coop? i wonder if my coop is too small for deep litter. i need to post a pic tomorrow.

4x8

Back
Top Bottom