Little black dots on eggs my hens trying to hatch????? what are they and how do i get rid of them!!!

Angel16

Songster
10 Years
Feb 19, 2013
Riding on a horse! :)
Hello,
I have a hen that went broody ( my first broody hen ever!) so I thought I would make her happy ( and myself :) ) and give her some fertile eggs to hatch. She has been sitting on them for about 2 weeks now ( or 2 and a half) and tonight I found her in another nesting box and the eggs she had been sitting on had little black dots all over them. I'm not sure what they are ( could they be mites? And how come they aren't on any of the other eggs?). I collected all the eggs from the other nesting boxes, but if she doesn't sit on her eggs tonight will they die?? I have no experience with hatching eggs and have had chickens only two years. If anyone could give me some advice as to what the things are and what i should do that would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!!

It is very likely that the nest is infested with mites - it happens. Remove the bedding, put miticide powder down and cover with fresh bedding, dust the hen, and hopefully you will have a successful hatch. Heavy mite infestations during brooding can cause a hen to abandon her nest or even cause her death. Good luck at resolving this.

It is very likely that the nest is infested with mites - it happens. Remove the bedding, put miticide powder down and cover with fresh bedding, dust the hen, and hopefully you will have a successful hatch. Heavy mite infestations during brooding can cause a hen to abandon her nest or even cause her death. Good luck at resolving this.
Thank you!! I did that yesterday and she is sitting on the eggs now :) Thanks you so much for replaying! I was so worried cause I didn't know what to do :)

Mites can move around the poultry coop and on the roost at night, all you birds can easily be infested with the mites. At night, with a flashlight, check each bird by flipping up the tail to look for the mites around the bare vent. They crawl under the feathers of the abdomen quickly. Good idea to dust each bird--they will have them sooner or later, if just one (setting hen) as them! Good luck.

Mites can move around the poultry coop and on the roost at night, all you birds can easily be infested with the mites. At night, with a flashlight, check each bird by flipping up the tail to look for the mites around the bare vent. They crawl under the feathers of the abdomen quickly. Good idea to dust each bird--they will have them sooner or later, if just one (setting hen) as them! Good luck.
OK, I'll dust them tonight! Thanks!! :)

Back
Top Bottom