little black pullet

Chickies

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 24, 2008
Northeast Florida
i have 2 little girls from meyer's "all-pullet rainbow pack" that are black, with white earlobes, straight comb, and black legs. they seem on the small side, (same size as campines, smaller than wyandottes)
what could they be?

i dont' currently have a pic to upload, but i can get one easily enough. just wondering what breeds fit the description--a lot of the black chicken breeds i've looked at don't have white earlobes.

Quote:
the earlobes are setting me off. i checked the meyer charts and it doesn't make sense. weird.

to mamato3, your black with brown is a black sex link, i am pretty sure.

I dealt with the same puzzle all Spring. We thought Frankie was an Austalorp, but she didn't grow to look like our other 2 black pullets. Also, we couldn't figure out what our splash pullet was; she's mostly white. At about three months of age, Frankie & the splash (Edina) came to look like reverse-color mirror images: same slight frame, white earlobes, grey feet & legs and the same single comb. They both cuddle on my lap.
And, here's the answer to your question: They both look like the ANDALUSIAN hen in the Meyer catalog! "Blue" varieties throw both black and splash offspring. I have to just bet that the folks who specifically order blue get the blue and we get the rest in our variety packs.
Please post a picture. The only pic I have is Edina as a very tiny chick.
P1010571.jpg

Back
Top Bottom