little black spots on comb and feathers missing...

redwa

Songster
12 Years
Aug 9, 2007
I think something is going on with my 15 month austerlorp hen. The feathers at the base of her tail got worn off due to the excessive mating of the rooster (he's now gone - due to other reasons, too.) but they have not returned and the skin remains red and the rest of her skin under her feathers is very white/yellow. Doesn't look healthy. Now she seems to be developing black spots on her comb. I have checked her for lice, even dusted her, the coop and the others with DE. No change. Any ideas?

Hi i have been raising birds for quite a while now and i have had the same problem with roosters and everything but im sure the feathers will grow back it just takes some time and the reason its red is becuase they can get sunburn like anything can and the balck spots on the comb maybe the hen is getting pecked or its also from sun and if its cold lol which it aint here in florida they will get frost bite which will cause the black spots but i have moved my chickens out of sun and seperated it form the others and fed/watered them and they grew their feathers back and everything i would also give her a lil more protein then the other i feed mine scratch grains, with catfish pellets which is very high in protein as well as black oil sunflower seeds and this helped mine look good for showing and made them better all aroudn and helped them feathers and everything grow back

What are catfish pellets? Dried cat food? Thank you for your feedback. I don't think she is experiencing frostbite here in sunny northern CA, sunburn maybe. I forgot to mention that she has also lost the feathers on her head. I thought she was beginning to molt but I don't see her losing any other feathers. I also catch her occasionally shaking her head...

Back
Top Bottom