Little fluff balls

Nin8705

Songster
Mar 4, 2019
Michigan
So we got a surprise the other day. Our hen we thought was dead, she’s been gone for about 3 weeks surprised my husband and came into our barn with 3 babies in tow. I have no idea we’re she has been but they are so cute! We made a brooder box and put them in it with mama hen but this is crazy I’ve never been around a hen who’s hatched her own babies. How long should I wait to reintroduce everyone together. I have ducks and turkeys that are outside during the day as well so I don’t want them to hurt the babies. I’m still trying to wrap my head around having them since I honestly thought this chicken was dead. I don’t think the babies are more than a few days old too.

Any tips would be helpful

Attachments

• FBF4C693-DA92-4BAE-BB6E-739D10B36CA2.jpeg
    FBF4C693-DA92-4BAE-BB6E-739D10B36CA2.jpeg
    90.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 9579E441-33F5-4848-9E2F-A640825B6E87.jpeg
    9579E441-33F5-4848-9E2F-A640825B6E87.jpeg
    346 KB · Views: 20

Mvan42

Crowing
Mar 15, 2019
Garrett County, Maryland
Where do you have them, I let my broodys do all the work with the introduction. They set in the coop and I don't separate them after hatch. I haven't lost a chick yet. (but I have only had broodys this year 1 hen hatch two different times and one hatched once) They protect their young.

Of course you can keep the separate, most will say the sooner the better and do a see no touch for a week. Try to combined them together if the other bully them do see no touch for another week and try again. The longer you wait the harder it is for them to be accepted and the longer it takes for them to be accepted.

Nin8705

Songster
Mar 4, 2019
Michigan
Where do you have them, I let my broodys do all the work with the introduction. They set in the coop and I don't separate them after hatch. I haven't lost a chick yet. (but I have only had broodys this year 1 hen hatch two different times and one hatched once) They protect their young.

Of course you can keep the separate, most will say the sooner the better and do a see no touch for a week. Try to combined them together if the other bully them do see no touch for another week and try again. The longer you wait the harder it is for them to be accepted and the longer it takes for them to be accepted.
Right now they are in a box outside of the coop. So they can hear each other but that’s about it. In our barn we have 3 horse stalls that are all open to make one big area and then they have an automatic door that they can go out into an acre of fenced off area. I just didn’t want to put them back in with the turkeys. The ducks, chickens and turkeys all share the area and the turkeys are big and dumb. I just didn’t want them to get stepped on. The mom is doing a good job of keeping them hidden under her and being protective when we go out there but being that she’s been gone for about 3 weeks I wasn’t sure how everyone would get along again. She was always the one to find a way out but I’m worried for the babies

Nin8705

Songster
Mar 4, 2019
Michigan
Yep that would be a sneaky chicken, lucky she didn't come back with a couple dozen, Leaning towards the Leghorn as the dad from way the chicks look
I was kinda wondering if there were more eggs out there but I’m still not 100% where she even had these little ones

Top Bottom