little giant 9200 with egg turner

farmer_fred

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 17, 2008
I had gotten a little giant 9200 with the egg turner about 2 weeks ago form tractor supply, and read about 24 pages of someone with a simialar incubator hatching eggs in 21 days. so, I have a basic idea how it works and what you should have. I have both chickens and turkeys, and so far have saved about 5 turkey eggs as last year, I had over 30 total on 1 nest with 2 hen turkeys. I lost a few eggs from them, some were not furtilized, so they did not hatch, and of course.... we had hot weather in june, and lost the 15 that survived due to the temature getting too hot and the 1 hen turkey would, well, step on them.... now I know this seems kinda odd, but here the odd part, I have hens that actually lay eggs larger than the turkey eggs, and at the time keith and james at tractor supply were hatching eggs off and had used the incubator. I know I have to maintain the temature, keep water in the unit. I have to maintain a 45% humidity, best to use a closet to keep air form moving the warm out of unit. and do not open the unit until day 18 to remove the turner and candle the eggs. the store employees said to leve the unit on for 2 days and monitor the temature. the question I was wondering, due to rolling blackout and brown outs that have existed in my area since 1998, there is always a chance that the power will go out, and it can be anywhere form a few seconds, to overnight. I was wondering, if anyone has ever thought of using a UPS system you would use for a computer. I have a large one made by cyber power, a smaller one that is made by APC used with the desktop computer, and a APC 350, used with the VCR and DVD player. the TV is just too large. and I hardly thnk that a UPS exists to handel a 32" TV... but I was think of using the smalle APC model to use in case of power outage, but it has to draw a small amout of power, other wise, the UPS would be dead in a matter of minutes. the old APC 350 will last for hours on end with 1 VCR and 1 DVD player, they are off of course.

Sounds like your APC350 would be fine.

Another option would be an inverter connected to a 12V marine deep cycly battery like they use for trolling motors.

we have had as I expected a few blackouts and power failures in the past week, the UPS has beeped as it is supposed to, I have had to adjust the temp about evry other day, keeping it at 99 degrees as best I can, only allow to go above 102 for just 1 day, have kept as close as possible to the 99 on the packed thomomenter oddly wants set on, but I used the reptile digital guage model to watch the temp . will know by next friday if babies born,

candled egg and took the picture.

eggs.jpg

Back
Top Bottom