Little Giant 9200

B. Kossum

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 28, 2010
I just bought me a LG and had a few questions about setting it up. All I have is the incubator (no fan, turner, or egg trays) so I was wondering if I could put a couple of chicken egg cartons in there to put the quail eggs in. If not- how do I set my eggs up in there? Also, I just fill those rings up at the bottom with water? Probably a stupid question, but just making sure lol. Any suggestions on getting it set-up (except to get the accessories lol). I plan on it, but am to impatient so I'm gonna get started without them.

Thanks,
Brian

I'd worry about temperature and humidity stable readings before I worry about anything else.

LG's are known to be bad about being stable.

Unfortunately you need to babysit them day and night to get decent hatch.

Yea, I have read the mixed reviews. I built one myself but it would not maintain temp.- even so I managed to hatch a few. I've actually had it plugged and it has been holding at 102 F for about 3 hours. I haven't put any water in it though. I considered building another one myself, but I couldn't get the parts I liked for less than about $60, so this is the best I can do for now. I'll just keep my fingers crossed lol.

Come'on- nobody's got any tips for using this cheap bator and getting good hatches lol?

B. Kossum :

Come'on- nobody's got any tips for using this cheap bator and getting good hatches lol?

UMMM ... DONT?
smile.png

B. Kossum :

Lets just say My son burning a 4 inch by 6 inch hole in my lil' giant was the best thing to have happen, because that bator is a piece of junk. the only good thing bout that bator were the working parts from which I built one bad A$$ bator with.

Good luck

Daren​

For The Record... Its Not The Cheap Part, Its The Lg Part. They're Great Chicken Bators But Fall Short For More Humidity Sensitive Speces Like Gamebirds And Waterfowl

Geez lol. I've calibrated the little thermometer that came with it and had it plugged in since last night. Been holding at 102 F for like 15-16 hours atleast. I haven't adjusted anything- just plugged it in. I read somewhere that 102 was where I needed to be at for incubating bobwhite in a still air bator. Is that correct? Also, I haven't filled up the water rings yet and the thermometer has been sitting straight on the wire. Should I expect a change when I add water and raise the thermometer? I'm probably gonna get a better thermometer with a humidity reading on it and figure something out for egg trays.

Quote:
Besides not enough water evaporation area (thiny groves) LG has a lousy low quality "electronic" thermostat.

The thermostat is responsible for deadly temp spikes.

I use my LG on occasion as a hatcher, but have a ReptiTemp500 thermostat in it to control upper temp limit.

I would toss my LG to a trash pile long time ago, but to make all environazis happy I decided to keep it since:

STYROFOAM TAKES 500 years to decompose (if it makes any difference to you)

LOL

B. Kossum :

Yea, I got a tip for you, try to "stabilize" your LG for a few days, then if it holds the temp put your eggs in, then (VERY IMPORTANT) watch them day and night until hatch (for temperature deadly "spikes").

Good routine for insomniacs.

Then if you get decent hatch good for you.

If you dont, do not blame me or anybody else.​

Back
Top Bottom