Little Giant automatic waterer issue

lovinlife

Songster
10 Years
Jun 18, 2009
Deep in the heart of Texas
I have five Little Giant waterers in five pens. Two I bought at the local feed store and three I ordered through Cutler Supply. The ones I got from Cutler now leak. Not sure if there's a connection there or not.

I know how to adjust the water level and tried that. The problem is that when I remove the outer stem, the valve underneath leaks. It should shut off unless the pieces on the end are pressed. I tried pressing them to clean them out in case some debris is caught inside. Water sprayed everywhere, but the valve still leaked when I released the end. I can see no way to get into the valve to clean it out.

I've sent emails to the Little Giant manufacturers and to Cutler Supply asking for advice on this. Other than purchasing new valves for $9 on a regular basis, I see no other way to solve the issue. I love the waterers and don't want to try to rig up a new system.

Has anyone had similar issues? If so, what did you do to resolve it?

Thanks!

Quote:
the little gaint automatic water uses thr same valve core as your car tires valve stems, go to any auto parts store, buy a valve core remover, remove the core and clean, or at the same time you can buy a couple of new valve core, they're only a few cents each. even walmart has these items for you

I can see what you're saying about replacing the core. Culter sells replacement cores for less than a dollar. I need to buy the tool to remove the core also.

I did hear from both Cutler and Miller (the manufacturer). Cutler said the waterers are still under warranty. I guess they looked up my account from my email address. If they'll replace the stem, I'll be happy. Miller asked about the water pressure and stated that if the water pressure is too high, the valve can fail. That's definitely not my problem, if anything I have the water pressure down to low. I tried turning it up and they just leaked more.

This is the replacement part from Cutler:
2506.jpg

It costs $0.95

This is the tool:
2518.jpg

It costs $4.50

I'm hoping they'll send replacement parts, but if not, I'll buy these and go from there.

Thanks for your input.
smile.png

my little gaint water started to leaked a couple of months ago also, what it was, the valve core was a little loose, i tightened it a little and it stopped leaking, could be your problem too.

Just throwing this out, but if your water is hard you may have mineral build up that is restricting the valve motion or has hardened the seals. If this is the case, CLR works great, vinegar will work, just not as fast.

We have that problem with our poultry nipples and have to de-calcify them about every two months.

Okay, those are interesting tips. Thanks to all of you. I will see if tightening the valve will work.

Our water isn't too hard. The other waterers aren't leaking, so I don't know why it would be just these that would leak. I will try CLR, though. Did you submerge the entire valve piece in CLR?

Miller hasn't offered to replace anything. Culter has been much more willing to help me than the manufacturer.

Quote:
Ya, I just pour some in a jar and throw the parts and pieces in for a while, 1/2 hour or so. then just rinse em off. The stuff burns like heck of you have a nick on your hand so just put the hose in the jar and rinse em before you pull out the parts.

Update!!!

I went to Auto Zone and found a 4-in-1 tool for $1.99. They also had four replacement valves for $1.99. Miller sent me instructions for cleaning or replacing the valves, so I took the waterer stems apart. Used the tool to remove the valves, cleaned them, replaced them, and all but one work great! The one that didn't work is because the valve inside the stem broke apart. Fortunately, it was one that I had bought a replacement for, so I don't need it. I didn't need the replacement valves after all. The ones I had worked fine once they were rinsed out. Didn't need CLR either.

Now that I know how easy it is (THANKS to you all!), I will clean the valves regularly and hopefully extend the life of my watering system. Wahoo!!!
I'm one happy chicken mama!

Back
Top Bottom