Little Giant gamebird fount freezing!

Flame80

Songster
Jul 1, 2020
Deep East Texas Sabine County
I recently installed one of the "red bowl" type automatic gamebird fount from Little Giant.Proffesional farm grade #2500 model. Waters up to 175 birds. This is the type that has a valve core like a tire in it to regulate pressure and water level. I have all water lines leading to it underground but the last one foot and the bowl and valve assembly are "uncovered". This is because I knew my birds would just eat the insulation. Well it only got down to 27 degrees last night and the water in the bowl and the "valve" froze up!! Any suggestions on how to keep this from happening? I realize on freezing nights I could but my old regular waterers back in the run but would really like to use the Little Giant. Plus I would have to go buy a heater for the other waterer too. Would a heat "strip/cord" work? Or would the chickens just peck it to death also? I was thinking of running a heat cord around the pvc pipe first and then wrapping with a rag and holing it in place with zip ties??

I’ve used heater strips with mixed results. They should work at 27 degrees, though, and the hens probably won’t peck it if it’s black.

Mind if I add a related question to this conversation? I use a 55-gallon drum connected by PVC pipe to a Little Giant bowl (like above) and am researching if i can dress it for winter. The catch? It has no access to electricity. I'd like to put an insulation wrap on the drum (just to discourage it from freezing), but I can't find one that is both for outdoor use and non-electric. I'd like to wrap the pipe, too. Lastly, I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to/under the bowl to slow it's rate of freezing, too. If you have any advice, please let me know. Oh, and this is for ducks. Thank you!

Mind if I add a related question to this conversation? I use a 55-gallon drum connected by PVC pipe to a Little Giant bowl (like above) and am researching if i can dress it for winter. The catch? It has no access to electricity. I'd like to put an insulation wrap on the drum (just to discourage it from freezing), but I can't find one that is both for outdoor use and non-electric. I'd like to wrap the pipe, too. Lastly, I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to/under the bowl to slow it's rate of freezing, too. If you have any advice, please let me know. Oh, and this is for ducks. Thank you!
How cold do you get?

Do you get any sun?

I find it way easier to just bring out fresh water every morning.

Some people in warmer places find that if they bring the water bowl/whatever in every evening, and then out every morning... then things work well.

Night time temperatures are just difficult.

How cold do you get?

Do you get any sun?

I find it way easier to just bring out fresh water every morning.

Some people in warmer places find that if they bring the water bowl/whatever in every evening, and then out every morning... then things work well.

Night time temperatures are just difficult
Thanks for replying, Alaskan. I agree about winter nights. Temperatures vary wildly in Virginia, but winter nights don't get into single digits. The tank (and run) gets several hours of sun in summer; a little less in winter.

The run is about two acres away from my house, so I won't be able to hand-carry enough water every day to satisfy ducks. Each night, I could empty the bowl and cut off the water flow to preserve the bowl, but I would still need to keep the pipe from freezing. If I could get solar-powered heat tape and an insulation wrap around the pipe, maybe that would work? Hopefully, I can find a solar heat band for the drum. So far, these aren't easy items to find, but admittedly, I have a steep learning curve since this is my first venture into agriculture.

Thanks for replying, Alaskan. I agree about winter nights. Temperatures vary wildly in Virginia, but winter nights don't get into single digits. The tank (and run) gets several hours of sun in summer; a little less in winter.

The run is about two acres away from my house, so I won't be able to hand-carry enough water every day to satisfy ducks. Each night, I could empty the bowl and cut off the water flow to preserve the bowl, but I would still need to keep the pipe from freezing. If I could get solar-powered heat tape and an insulation wrap around the pipe, maybe that would work? Hopefully, I can find a solar heat band for the drum. So far, these aren't easy items to find, but admittedly, I have a steep learning curve since this is my first venture into agriculture.
Since your temps are moderate, and you do get sun...

I would recommend either using a solar powered setup.

Or... get free fogged windows from a window place... and use those to make a greenhouse type area around where the water sits.

The solar greenhouse setup will warm it up nicely.

If your pipe is that flexible rubber stuff it will not break even if it does freeze.

The drum though.... it will take a long time to freeze... but once it does you will need quality heat to thaw it... which is why building a greenhouse around it is I think best. You should get nice heat every afternoon that will then be stored in that drum overnight and help keep it from freezing at night.

Since your temps are moderate, and you do get sun...

I would recommend either using a solar powered setup.

Or... get free fogged windows from a window place... and use those to make a greenhouse type area around where the water sits.

The solar greenhouse setup will warm it up nicely.

If your pipe is that flexible rubber stuff it will not break even if it does freeze.

The drum though.... it will take a long time to freeze... but once it does you will need quality heat to thaw it... which is why building a greenhouse around it is I think best. You should get nice heat every afternoon that will then be stored in that drum overnight and help keep it from freezing at night.
That sounds like a good option. Thank you for giving me some hope for the coming winter!

Back
Top Bottom