Little Giant Incubator Tricks

I actually went with adjusting the thermostat a touch and that has worked like a charm so far! Cuts off at 102 and back on at 99...That is running both 40W bulbs at the same time with the fan laying on its side on the bottom. I like the setup and you are right....frustrating but so rewarding when it works! My bator has 4 air hole vents and the top has a constant crack and it maintains temp.

I plan to incubate in the cooler bator and hatch in the LG after this first hatch.

I feel bad for hi-jacking the LG thread, so if I have any more questions, I will post a new thread!
Do not feel bad. You did not hi-jack this thread. Any member can post in it. You are using an LG also. This thread is for learning and helping others. I do most of my incubating in my cabinet incubator and use my LG's, Hova-Bators and coolerbater for hatching unless I have a small batch of eggs, then I use an LG to incubate and hatch in... (my cabinet incubator holds 324 eggs in the racks. Each rack holds 54 eggs and there are 2 racks per tray. I have 3 trays plus a hatching tray. I found it easier to hatch in the styrofoam table top incubators than in the cabinet incubator,)

Both Cmom and I use a homemade incubator for most of our incubating and the LG for the lockdown and hatching phase. So no worries.

As you niticed, a number of ways to solve the control of the temp. In my incuator the top usually is well open, as in 4 sq inches open-- so lots of ventilation-- because that is what maintains the right temp in my set up. Now yu have me wanting to play with it and tweekit!! lol
I also have plenty of holes in my incubators. I also use tape over the holes if I need to block some off. This will affect the temperature and humidity also. I have holes in the back of my cabinet incubator where I can also open and close them according to the temperature and humidity readings.

I also have plenty of holes in my incubators. I also use tape over the holes if I need to block some off. This will affect the temperature and humidity also. I have holes in the back of my cabinet incubator where I can also open and close them according to the temperature and humidity readings.
Cmom how many do you incubate? And what do you do with them all. I'm sorry I must have missed something. Lol. You're living my dream

Cmom how many do you incubate? And what do you do with them all.
I'm sorry I must have missed something. Lol. You're living my dream
It has taken many many years of trial and error. Mostly I do staggered hatches and I do sometimes hatch for friends. I sell most of the males and just keep the ones I want for breeding and showing at poultry shows. I do sell some of the pullets but also keep the ones for potential breeding and showing. I grow them out so I can see how they are developing.

It has taken many many years of trial and error. Mostly I do staggered hatches and I do sometimes hatch for friends. I sell most of the males and just keep the ones I want for breeding and showing at poultry shows. I do sell some of the pullets but also keep the ones for potential breeding and showing. I grow them out so I can see how they are developing.

Do you cull any cause it seems like a lot. My chicken math is rising. I became a incubatingholic lol but never have gotten someone introduced in buying. The math of $5 a chick don't sound good since I have to incubate for 21 days. .

Quote:
Once in awhile I have to cull some chicks but compared to the number I have hatched it isn't much. I don't do it for money, I do it for the love of it. I usually barter with friends for bags of feed. I have a fellow that will take all of my males for $4.00 each and I sell the pullets for more depending on how long I have them. Barnyards I'll sell for $10.00 per bird. The pure breeds I get more. The older they get the more money I get. I'll sell a pullet that has started laying for as much as $30.00 per bird. I specialize in Heritage Rhode Island Reds and Heritage Rose Comb Rhode Island Whites. I do breed for Red Sex LInks. I do show my birds at poultry show.

Once in awhile I have to cull some chicks but compared to the number I have hatched it isn't much. I don't do it for money, I do it for the love of it. I usually barter with friends for bags of feed. I have a fellow that will take all of my males for $4.00 each and I sell the pullets for more depending on how long I have them. Barnyards I'll sell for $10.00 per bird. The pure breeds I get more. The older they get the more money I get. I'll sell a pullet that has started laying for as much as $30.00 per bird. I specialize in Heritage Rhode Island Reds and Heritage Rose Comb Rhode Island Whites. I do breed for Red Sex LInks. I do show my birds at poultry show.
I would love to live close to you. I feel honored to be able to learn so much from you.

Back
Top Bottom