Little Giant Incubator Tricks

They looked the same to me as well. Maybe it was a coincidence, but I have heard the same from atleast 2 other people. I'd love to try it again as I was a big fan of the new units.
Lots of variables with a hatch...but you did 'several' and 2 others did also, so...who knows?.....wonder if the change in the housing shape changed the air circulation?

I have an LG incubator running at school so middle school kids can experience it. I wanted them to hatch before spring break so I started them Wednesday Feb. 26. Day one then became Feb. 27. Day 18 will be a Sunday. I'm unable to get into the building on weekends. (makes me worry about the temperatures since I don't believe they keep it warm over night or over the weekend - I get cold when doing the ball games at night or weekend so I covered the incubator with the fleece blanket I use at the games) I'm going to have to hope that I can get to work Monday morning to pull the eggs out of the auto-turner before they start hatching. I haven't done this incubating thing but twice and I seem to remember that I had one start hatching on day 18 (don't know what I did with my incubating notes from last year to double check). I know some people have had chicks hatch while the turner is still moving. I just hope that they all wait for Monday, then that they all finish by Friday afternoon so I can take them home.
smile.png

CG

[COLOR=4B0082]I have an LG incubator running at school so middle school kids can experience it.  I wanted them to hatch before spring break so I started them Wednesday Feb. 26.  Day one then became Feb. 27.  Day 18 will be a Sunday.  I'm unable to get into the building on weekends.  (makes me worry about the temperatures since I don't believe they keep it warm over night or over the weekend - I get cold when doing the ball games at night or weekend so I covered the incubator with the fleece blanket I use at the games)   I'm going to have to hope that I can get to work Monday morning to pull the eggs out of the auto-turner before they start hatching.  I haven't done this incubating thing but twice and I seem to remember that I had one start hatching on day 18 (don't know what I did with my incubating notes from last year to double check).  I know some people have had chicks hatch while the turner is still moving.  I just hope that they all wait for Monday, then that they all finish by Friday afternoon so I can take them home. [/COLOR] :)

[COLOR=4B0082]CG[/COLOR]
[COLOR=4B0082][/COLOR]

Great story but the chicks will be fine even if they do hatch with the turner and they can survive up to 3-4 days with just the egg shell

I have an LG incubator running at school so middle school kids can experience it. I wanted them to hatch before spring break so I started them Wednesday Feb. 26. Day one then became Feb. 27. Day 18 will be a Sunday. I'm unable to get into the building on weekends. (makes me worry about the temperatures since I don't believe they keep it warm over night or over the weekend - I get cold when doing the ball games at night or weekend so I covered the incubator with the fleece blanket I use at the games) I'm going to have to hope that I can get to work Monday morning to pull the eggs out of the auto-turner before they start hatching. I haven't done this incubating thing but twice and I seem to remember that I had one start hatching on day 18 (don't know what I did with my incubating notes from last year to double check). I know some people have had chicks hatch while the turner is still moving. I just hope that they all wait for Monday, then that they all finish by Friday afternoon so I can take them home.
smile.png

CG
Take the eggs outof the turner on Friday. Be sure to leave the LG uncovered as hatching chicks neeed more oxygen at hatching. A little cooler is ok. You might find the hatch has been delayed if the night temps and weekend temps are lowered. The all have the same a mount of yolk to work with, but certainly and early chicks will start using the yolk faster than those still in the egg. Let us know how it goes!!

Do you have a fan in yours? I did not buy one but will if it makes a big difference in the hatch rate...thanks for the info an pictures...

You dont need a fan but it is good to have one but the hatch rates should be great I put around 12 and every time 10 or more hatch this time I have 41 I'm kinda scared but no you don't have to have a fan my hatch rates were always great without a fan so we will see

Last edited:
I am new to chickens and hatching and got the LG because it was readily available and so I would have the space for a dozen eggs. I added a fan and got a thermometer/hygrometer and then another thermometer (the cute one with the frog at Walgreens). That makes three thermometers to drive me crazy. I started the incubator up on Friday and have it going within a range from 98.6 to 100.4. Humidity without anything in it is steady at 15% I saw references between the old and new model but having not see the earlier version I can't compare. I will say that I wish that I would have just gotten the larger Brinsea with the thought of ending up with a better thermostat.

Back
Top Bottom