Little Giant Incubator Troubleshooting and Helpful Modifications

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Robo, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I have seen a lot of people having problems with their Little Giant Incubators. First off here is a troubleshooting guide.
    Problems:

Incubator won't hold Temperature- It is in a drafty room or the thermostat control unit is out.

Red light flashes- This is normal, the thermostat is turning on and off.

Humidity too low- Put a sponge or square container in. Avoid circular containers and remember humidity is based off surface not volume.

Incubator won't heat- The thermostat or heating element is broken. Make sure it is plugged in.

Incubator leaks water- Paint it with a fiberglass boat sealer.

Modifications:

It helps to add a radio knob or something like that so that you can adjust it better. In this picture I used a toy car wheel.
    [​IMG]

If you live in a dry climate and need to add water daily, but don't want to mess with the internal temperature just use a fish tank cleaner to add water. Like this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    If you want to convert your still air to a forced air take an old cell phone charger and wire it into a PC fan so you can plug it into the wall.
    The windows sometimes will pop out of place so I taped them to avoid them coming out of place and from losing heat around the windows.
    If you have any other tips just tell me and I will add them.[​IMG]

2. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    As far as the bottom leaking, they sell plastic liners for the bottom that are only $10. I just got one from eggcartons.com

3. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I saw those but had a can of boat sealer right here so I went to work.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by