Little Giant, Oh how I despise you !!!

Must be just certain incubators. I had bad luck with mine until I did some modifications to it and then ran it empty for about 2 months to really learn it. Never had temp spikes though. Just different temps around the bator. I solved that and now it hatches as good as any.

I have a little giant as well and I have to babysit this thing. If my temperature sensor gets moved in the slightest my temp gets thrown out of whack and I’ve got to start moving the sensor till everything stabilizes after my current hatch I am probably moving to something different I candled today and the eggs are good but my other two thermometer were reading around 107 so once again I had to intervene at the beginning of my hatch I came home from work and it was 103 I didn’t know for how long and I thought my hatch was ruined but I acted quickly and got everything normalized but it’s a pain

The little giant is all I have at the moment but iv'e had to tweak it and learn where to put that dumb probe to get a semi accurate reading. I had to make a harness to suspend the probe midway in the incubator airspace and a good four inches away from the heating element of course I removed that useless plastic sheet first thing. The instructions of just lay the probe on top of the eggs would have been a disaster. That harness keeps chicks from moving the thing around and possibly baking themselves post hatch too. I'm using the turner with my monstrosity but not for long as last hatch it started making an ungodly noise.

I'm sorry to hear that :(

I'll stick to my HovaBators with the wafer until/unless I have enough spare cash and find a cabinet with the wafer for a good price. I don't trust digital temp sensors at all and I've read a LOT of people having trouble with Little Giants.

I think it is, or at least well on the way. Last hatch the motor started getting hot a couple days before lockdown. I took everything out and checked it over when the noise started on week one but didn't see anything. I think I only got four hatches out of the thing before it started acting up and I didn't even stress it.
It's probably shot.
I did an incredible amount of monitoring when that noise started, thing was jammed and was not turning. New motor helped for awhile.

I'm sorry to hear that :(

I'll stick to my HovaBators with the wafer until/unless I have enough spare cash and find a cabinet with the wafer for a good price. I don't trust digital temp sensors at all and I've read a LOT of people having trouble with Little Giants.
That's how I am. The wafer is set it and forget it for me any way.
I've had sportsman with the dual wafers before and always liked those.

That's how I am. The wafer is set it and forget it for me any way.
I've had sportsman with the dual wafers before and always liked those.

I am at present working on a home made bator with a wafer. Going to be a few more weeks before it is complete. Then I will run it empty for a couple of weeks to get the kinks out. May even add a second wafer for safety's sake. So far it is working fine. I can get the temp to 100f and it seems to hold there pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom