Little knuckleheads are loving the yogurt

And rabbits!

Though you should only give it to rabbits to offset antibiotics; anything that might give rabbits the runs is a good way to end up with dead rabbits.

Everything loves yogurt.

Speaking of which, for everyone here who feeds a lot of yogurt, it's REALLY easy to make your own and save a ton of money. You need:

Quart of milk
Live culture yogurt to start with (after the first time you can use a little bit of what you've already made)
Quart canning jar for the milk.
Meat thermometer (preferably one that's never actually be used with meat, just in case)
Cooler big enough for the canning jar.

Heat your milk to 180 degrees (this can be done in the microwave). Try not to overheat it. Let it come down to 116 degrees* (takes about an hour) in the canning jar, stir to make sure there are no hot spots. Add 2 tablespoons of yogurt to the jar and stir gently. Cover and set jar in cooler and keep the milk at 116ish for at least 6 hours. I usually half-fill the cooler with water at 126 degrees to accomplish this. Remove yogurt from cooler and place in fridge. Eat.

If you're going to do this, be aware that the yogurt starts to get a little chunky after it's been in the 'fridge for two weeks. I still use it for culture at this point, but generally won't eat it myself because of the texture. It's never hurt me to eat it, though, it's just kinda... squishy. You're best off to make yogurt every weekend if you're going to do it this way, and then you don't have to worry about it going chunky.

You end up with a quart of yogurt this way for the cost of 1/4 gallon of milk.

*Experiment with this temperature. The culture I use actually prefers 118 degrees, as I found out by accident when I was in a hurry and didn't have time to wait for the milk to come down those last two degrees. It should be close to there, though; too high and you kill it, too low and it won't grow.

Last edited:
I always mix it with they're chic starter for a treat... It's cute to watchem' the get so excited!
lau.gif

Have you tried mixing the yogurt in with cooked oatmeal or quinoa? Mine love it mixed in with both, not so much plain though. When I gave it plain, I wound up with more ON me than in them!
hmm.png

I'm feeding them the greek Fage(pronounced fa-yeh) yogurt but limit how many days they get it. My kids don't like it unless it's in a smoothie but the chicks ate two heaping teaspoons in no time flat. Go figure

Back
Top Bottom