Little Lone Chicken

ChicFil- A

Songster
Jul 17, 2020
Little Lone Chicken

what should I do?

Little chicken, I remember the first time I saw you, so small just a little pullet, along side of you was a cute little rooster and a sprawled leg pullet.
You were stuffed into a TSC small coop that was severely overcrowded for 3 chickens.
We had new neighbors and they had this small small coop, they put a waterer and small amounts of food thrown out daily. The chickens were uncared for and were allowed to free range at will, it seemed that one by one the little chickens disappeared, they were chased and killed by prey. But the little lone chicken managed to survive, The little chicken is totally alone and the people who brought them threw the coop into the trash so now that little lone hen had no shelter at all I have no idea where she goes at night, they stopped putting out food or water. There is a waterer but it’s empty and i’ve never seen anyone fill it.

So every so often I would see the little hen wandering aimlessly alone. I am amazed this little hen has survived it’s been about 9 months. There is no coop no nesting box there are no provisions for the hen nothing…

Many times the hen has came over here and shared food and water and she visits my coop at least several times a week. although she had never attempted to go into the coop. ( i’ve always put extra food for her near the coop area so she would have something to eat) I set out at the coop about every other day, as I love to visit my chickens and feed them and I find peace when I visit the coop. This morning it’s raining, very wendy just a nasty day, When I entered the coop the hen was right behind me and followed me into the coop. Immediately my hens attacked her and she ran from them and huddled In corner, I have a brooder pen so I picked up the little hen and put her into the brooder pen for her safety. I have so many times felt so bewildered at the sight of heavy snow, and this winter we had a week of below freezing temperatures, hail, wind, tornados and that little chicken just keeps surviving, I know it’s only a matter of time and she will be killed and eaten by a hawk,
skunk or any of many
other predators. We’re in a heavily wooded area and we have every kind of predator imaginable including coyotes,

Now I have a delima !!!

I want the chicken because i’m attached and have an emotional attachment and feel like a hero!!! but I know it’s not right to keep her. What should I do? The hen is a buff orpington and she is mild mannered and sweet and i feel so sorry for her.

Feeling with you and I would do the same. Maybe someone can give you advice and hopefully she can be integrated in your flock.
Thank you, in my heart of hearts I feel she is safe. It’s storming now in TN and we are under tornado warnings now. 🙏🏻

I want the chicken because i’m attached and have an emotional attachment and feel like a hero!!! but I know it’s not right to keep her. What should I do? The hen is a buff orpington and she is mild mannered and sweet and i feel so sorry for her.
If you're worried about what her original owners might say, you could ask them if it's OK for you to keep the chicken. Or you could offer to buy her from them, if you think that will work better. You say they are not providing any care, so they might be quite willing to let "their" chicken become "your" chicken.

If you are worried about her being attacked by your flock, you might start by using your brooder pen for a look-no-touch setup, to keep her safe while she and your other hens start to get acquainted. I don't know whether she will ever be able to live happily with your flock or not, but it could be worth at least trying.

Back
Top Bottom