Little peckers

Redpop

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 23, 2011
Liberty, AZ
I have 6 12-week old chickens of different breeds. All but 1 are pecking each other. They seem to be eating the feathers. How do I get them to stop? I have had to seperate one because her butt was scabbed up.

Red - Welcome to BYC - I've no idea bout the pecking thing other than Blu-kote is the stuff to spray on open wounds - worked for mine.

Check out the Arizona thread - lotsa good peeps!

Good luck with your peckers!

I'd say they are too crowded and perhaps are not getting enough protein. And yeah, come on over to the AZ thread.

Their coop and run is about 80sqft. I figured that was enough for 6 chickens. Do I need to make it bigger? Thanks for the blu cote advice. I'll try it. I am also trying something called pecker wrecker that's suppose to stop back pecking. I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck with it.

Are they all pullets?
(The more cockerels the more space that is needed)

Some breeds need more space than others, what type of breeds are they?

Are you seeing them pulling and eating feathers or all you just seeing a lot of feathers on the ground?

Are you seeing ONE picking on all of them or all picking on each other?

LASTLY, what are you feeding them?

Last edited:
Quote:
They are all pullets, I think. I'm new to chicken raising. . I have a barred Plymouth rock, a Rhode island red, an austrolorp, a jersey giant, an Easter egger, an a gold laced Wyandotte. They are all but one pecking each other and they are eating the feathers. I am feeding them purina chick starter. I did just upgrade to a bigger feeder because they were finishing their food before I got home from work. I also just started giving them yogurt and veggies.

Quote:
For starters, I think you are at the MIN. on spacing for the 6 birds. I would find some way to give these bird more space.

Next, running out of food could be part of the problem by itself. They should ALWAYS have food and water available.

Lastly, between being tight on space AND bored.... you are just asking for trouble. You can add space and interest to your current run by

1.) create some roosts about 1 to 2 feet above the ground.
2.) give chicken toys.... a head of HANGING cabbage for starters or those, hanging seed cakes, OR hang a suet cage with greens in it.
3.) put a bigger feeder OR two small feeders out so that they don't run out of food.

MOVE space should be a top priority - - Your austrolorp and jersey giant are gonna be some BIG birds. The rest of your birds aren't small breeds either
big_smile.png

Quote:
For starters, I think you are at the MIN. on spacing for the 6 birds. I would find some way to give these bird more space.

Next, running out of food could be part of the problem by itself. They should ALWAYS have food and water available.

Lastly, between being tight on space AND bored.... you are just asking for trouble. You can add space and interest to your current run by

1.) create some roosts about 1 to 2 feet above the ground.
2.) give chicken toys.... a head of HANGING cabbage for starters or those, hanging seed cakes, OR hang a suet cage with greens in it.
3.) put a bigger feeder OR two small feeders out so that they don't run out of food.

MOVE space should be a top priority - - Your austrolorp and jersey giant are gonna be some BIG birds. The rest of your birds aren't small breeds either
big_smile.png

What do you mean minimum? 80 sq ft is lots for 6 birds. 4 sq ft per bird - right now they have 13 sq ft a bird. It has nothing to do with space..

Back
Top Bottom