Sechs:
Female Runner
2 yrs 9 months old
Approx. 3.5 pounds
Not molting
Not laying
Nothing out of the ordinary has been happening, to my knowledge

Symptoms:
Held one eye closed this morning. I decided not to panic, checked on her a few hours later, eye still closed. Upon examination, there were two little white blobs and a drop of watery discharge.

Behavior:
Seemed normal this morning
Been staying with the flock
When I picked her up, she was startled, though I had been talking to her as I approached her from her closed eye side (she was standing next to the fence, so I could not approach from her open eye side) She opened the affected eye, and I saw the blobs. I gently wiped her closed eyelid back to front, removed one of the blobs. She opened the eye, and kept the eye open for a few minutes, washed her head in the swim pan.
This afternoon, she has been standing up dozing

Plan:
Vitamins/electrolytes/probiotics in the water tonight
At this point, it just looks like she may have gotten something in her eye and it is a little irritated. She may just want to keep her eyes closed as it is more comfortable, and so she's resting herself.

Questions:
Might I be missing something more serious?
What else might I be looking for?
Why on a Friday?

Has it been extra dusty lately?

Is she wheezing at all? Any change in quack?

As I held her I did not notice any wheezing. A few minutes ago someone had a different kind of quack but I did not see who made it, though Sechs was in the group from which it came.

Not dustier than normal, and normal is what gets stirred up with jubilant wing flapping. There is an air purifier running nearby these days in the night pen.

She just made a little half wak, sounded like herself. She is half dozing in her usual favorite spot by the water bowl in the watering station. She sleeps there at night. About half tthe flock is tucky-nose napping. Five are walking around snacking, drinking.

Her breathing looks normal.

Update: Sechs trotted over to lie down near Zwei. They chatted a bit, voice sounds fine.

Tucky-nose, resting.

Last edited:
As I held her I did not notice any wheezing. A few minutes ago someone had a different kind of quack but I did not see who made it, though Sechs was in the group from which it came.

Not dustier than normal, and normal is what gets stirred up with jubilant wing flapping. There is an air purifier running nearby these days in the night pen.

She just made a little half wak, sounded like herself. She is half dozing in her usual favorite spot by the water bowl in the watering station. She sleeps there at night. About half tthe flock is tucky-nose napping. Five are walking around snacking, drinking.

Her breathing looks normal.

Update: Sechs trotted over to lie down near Zwei. They chatted a bit, voice sounds fine.

Tucky-nose, resting.
Amiga I hope thats all it is that she got some dust in there and it's causing a bit of irritation
fl.gif

I'll see how she looks in the morning.

Tonight, the flock has been so very chatty. Don't know what's got them stirred up. I went to check on them, and they were all just milling around, muttering. I topped up the feed pans and said goodnight again.

Thanks both of you for the support. Sechs doesn't like to be touched, but she runs right over to me when I come near the pen.

According to Holderread's book, "if foamy eye appears overnight and is not accompanied by unusual nasal discharge and/or other resp symptoms such as coughing and wheezing, then it probably is the result of an injury or irritant."
Hope Sechs recovers quickly!!

My current guess is an irritant. This morning my precious ducky has her eye half open or open, and she's popping around like a frisky pony, as usual.

That behavior is one way I can tell it's her, as she looks so much like Elfie. Elfie rocks back and forth on her relatively short legs when she's happy and excited.

My current guess is an irritant. This morning my precious ducky has her eye half open or open, and she's popping around like a frisky pony, as usual.

That behavior is one way I can tell it's her, as she looks so much like Elfie. Elfie rocks back and forth on her relatively short legs when she's happy and excited.
Good news hoping as the day goes on it will be back to normal. Bless their hearts they can sure make us nervous.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom