little small white bugs on hatching egg?

chicklets81

Chirping
Mar 10, 2017
I have 2 broody hens hatching out eggs right now. Yesterday was day 21. I picked up one of the eggs to see if the chick had made a pip hole yet, and I noticed tiny, almost microscopic, little things on the eggs surface, walking around.

I think I read somewhere on this site about mites, and that they are "red" in color, and don't like the light. But these weren't red, they were white, and didn't scatter when I shined my flashlight on them.

Anybody have any clue what they could be?

I have a mixture of hay and pine shavings in the box that the hen is sitting in, so its really hard to tell where the other white things could be.

Thanks!

There are different types of mites, my starter silkies had both slow, pale yellow mites and feather lice! I had no idea what type of mites they were, but I wanted to get rid of them fast as I didn't want them drinking their blood.

While my dad was at the store getting the Desi-dust, I was plucking the mites and lice out from the hen and roo's feathers on my lap and dropping them into a tub to be disposed of later. After about a week of dusting them with the desi-dust and dusting the nestbox and bedding, the lice and mites vanished.

Mites are white/grey in colour in their early life cycle before they feed from the birds blood and become red.

IMG_1619.JPG

This is a good read ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/mites-lice-treatment-and-prevention.64597/

If you are seeing these on the eggs I fear you have a bad infestation and you will need to thoroughly clean out her nest. As the eggs are due I would maybe leave this until she has left the nest. The mites will be hiding in nooks, crannies & crevices. It's important to get them under control especially as your hen will have likely weakened herself whilst brooding.

Back
Top Bottom